Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 05 dodge ram / 5.7l hemi oil pressure truble

05 dodge ram / 5.7l hemi oil pressure truble

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion 05 dodge ram / 5.7l hemi oil pressure truble

• Creator
    Topic
    puffpuff
    Participant

ok this started a few weeks ago,my check gauges alarm go,s off,and the oil presure hand drops to zero, after about 10 seconds go,s back to normal.done it like 5 times in 30 miles, then drops for like 2 minutes, i pull over and listen and hear no rattle at all, then gauge comes back up. so i buy new air filter and install, old one was dirty due to dust from gravle roads. works fine for 3 days , then go,s off 1 time agin but comes back up. after 2 weeks, today it does it agin twice, then the third time it stays down and moter starts to rattle so i pull over and turn off. after siting 5 mins i chank back up and presure hands back up to norm,motor rattles for a min till oil gets back up to top of engine, then no more problem, i get home and still no rattles , so i turn off.it has 110k miles on it all easy driven miles. is this the oil pump going out or just pickup tube or filter clogged up ?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

I would first start by pulling the oil pressure sender and attaching a mechanical oil pressure guage so you can properly measure your oil pressure. it is fairly common for the oil pressure sender on the rams to go bad causing erratic dash guage readings. since you mentioned hearing a rattling sound from the engine I would deffinently measure the oil pressure as you may indeed have either a clogged p/u screen or an oil pump starting to fail.

puffpuff
        Participant

on the oil pump can it be changed from under the truck, by droping the oil pan, also without droping the crankshaft ? im leaning twords the pickup tube being stoped up because after siting 24 hours i go crank it and have full presure agin with oil to the top of engine ( no rattle).also i have never seen and oil pump do this, all i have ever seen is they just stop working all together, never seen one go back and forth. also the oil change is about 10k miles over due. but i have only worked on older model auto,s where the oil pumps just bolt up with 2 bolts to the block just under the distributer shaft. by looking at this oil pump on part store sites it has large hole in center like it go,s on the crankshaft.thanks for any help on this matter as for the warenty ran out a few months back ( what luck )

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…