Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Toyota + lithium soap base glycol grease

Toyota + lithium soap base glycol grease

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Toyota + lithium soap base glycol grease

• Creator
    Topic
    DaveDave
    Participant

What do you guys do about Toyota service manuals calling for lithium soap base glycol grease on brake parts? I didn’t have any a couple of years ago and used some of that green Permatex stuff instead. Pretty sure that was a bad choice on my part. There’s a Russian site that claims Toyota made a mistake and it should be silicone grease instead.

On the other hand, some people point to Toyota part number 08887-01206, aka “Rubber Grease”.

Lots and lots of confusion on this topic.

Note the legend at the lower lefthand corner in these drawings.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
      Participant

The red rubber grease #08887-01206 is the correct stuff.

IngvarIngvar
        Participant

Oil products deteriorate rubber. Toyota simply calls for a grease that has no oil products in it, so that parts do not swell after grease application. Unfortunately, in English, oil is oil. Back in my native language, we had neft and maslo, one being oil from drilling and the other one being say castor oil, that was originally base for brake fluids.
          Btw, don’t park your tires in puddles of oil, left by someone else. Will deteriorate your tires.

DaveDave
          Participant

I guess the question was how many people actually use the Toyota recommended grease?

There are MANY Toyota dealerships that do not in their service departments.

college mancollege man

Silicone paste will due just fine in rubber brake parts.

DaveDave
              Participant

Any idea why Toyota didn’t recommend silicone in the first place? What advantage is there to using the real stuff spec’d by Toyota?

Thanks!

college mancollege man

[quote=”desertdude” post=140539]Any idea why Toyota didn’t recommend silicone in the first place? What advantage is there to using the real stuff spec’d by Toyota?

Thanks![/quote]

Its Toyota’s brand name so you will buy it. Toyota does not manufacturer the product they call it
                  there own. Nissan calls it rubber grease also.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/3m-08946-silicone-paste-8-oz#oid=1002_1

just a numberjust a number
                  Participant

Toyota Rubber Grease

Not that it matters but I wonder how close Castrol Red Rubber Grease comes to that.
                    http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Just the temp figures in that
                    “Hight temperarure.
                    The grease can be used in applications with temperatures up to 210-230F. It will not melt and will not contaminate brake pads.”

230F that doesn’t seem like much

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…