Menu

Alternator OEM or after market

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Alternator OEM or after market

• Creator
    Topic
    PETER VONSCHONDORFPETER VONSCHONDORF
    Participant

I not a mechanic, just someone wanting to save a buck. Getting error codes related to my alternator and occasionally the battery light on my dash lights up. Looked into it my alternator and the output voltage was low 13.5-13.8. Everything else looked good. I got an after market unit and it was a failure right out of the box. Second one, same output voltage. I couldn’t return it. I got someone to rebuild the OEM, same result. Should I get another OEM or just wait for the next inspection and have a real mechanic do his voodoo, possibly another after market unit but get a passing inspection or bite the bullet that a $650 OEM unit will do it?

Thinking about going over my head (background into shady tree vehicle knowledge) and looking at voltages into or out of the ECM, thinking its the ECM is giving the alternator bad information. PS I don’t own a scanner/diagnostic computer, just a volt/ohm meter.

HELP!!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
      Participant

Definitely get a brand new oem alternator. Rebuilding them is always dicey and a lot of times they don’t last. I don’t advise anybody to get aftermarket ones unless you know for sure that it is the same brand name that was put on by the factory. Now the other thing you wanna also do if you haven’t done so recently is replace the battery or if it’s fairly new you can recharge it. But you want the charging system to be properly balanced so that it will work correctly. Also another thing you wanna do if you find that you’re having problems with alternators is check for bad grounds and any shorts or frayed electrical wiring as this will contribute to continuous alternator failures. Hope that helps!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…