Menu

Toothpaste headlight repair.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Toothpaste headlight repair.

• Creator
    Topic
    Henry I GrishamHenry I Grisham
    Participant

I have heard of many people using toothpaste to de-yellow their headlights, but I am skeptical of this. I have no idea what exactly the toothpaste does and whether or not it damages your headlights. If anyone knows exactly what happens when you use toothpaste on your headlights, or if it is harmful or not I am very curious.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PaulPaul
      Participant

Toothpaste contains mild abrasives that will remove the colored byproducts from UV exposure. Also, the abrasives round the edges of a scratch making it less visible. Restoration kits usually include an abrasive polishing step. A reputable kit will also include a sealer that protects against further UV degradation and fills in the scratches to improve the clarity.

asetoftoolsasetoftools
        Participant

Just use thte 3m kit. I used it recently and the difference is night and day. well worth the $35.

I did find i had to redo it after 4 years and probably 60k, but i have read that this is because i do not wax the headlights. 3m recommends waxing the lights every 3 months.

its easy and very very much worth the $40. eric has a good video about using the 3m kits but search isnt really working for me on the forums right now. This was prior to waxing (Below) and they look even more clear now. passenger side is not done yet for comparison.

PaulPaul
          Participant
          Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…