Menu

305 to 350 swap?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications 305 to 350 swap?

• Creator
    Topic
    BrittneyBrittney
    Participant

Wanted to make my car actually go fast haha. 85 t/a with a 305 chevy small block and the tpi injection system. Wanted to swap it for a 350 with my friend sometime, but had a few questions…

one, will it fit right in?
      two, does the fuel tank have to be dropped on this car to do the fuel pump?
      three, does the transmission need any adjustment for the new engine

Thanks 😀

Hoping to swap with a 350 tpi from a chevy truck when I get the $$$$ and time

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

[quote=”brittnee305″ post=122301]Wanted to make my car actually go fast haha. 85 t/a with a 305 chevy small block and the tpi injection system. Wanted to swap it for a 350 with my friend sometime, but had a few questions…

one, will it fit right in?
        two, does the fuel tank have to be dropped on this car to do the fuel pump?
        three, does the transmission need any adjustment for the new engine

Thanks 😀

Hoping to swap with a 350 tpi from a chevy truck when I get the $$$$ and time[/quote] Oh ya, that’s an easy swap that me and friend just did on his truck.
        1. Yes it should fit, you may have to check the engine mounts though.
        2. Depends on the fuel pump, some are mechanical and others are electric. If it’s electric drop the tank.
        3. It may need a tweak, if it’s the 700r4 or the 4L60 it should have a throttle valve cable and a vacuum modulator. I would swap in the vacuum modulator from the 350 and adjust the TV cable as necessary.

BrittneyBrittney
        Participant

I may replace old engine mounts just to be sure but the rest sounds straight forward. I plan on later on down the road maybe 10k in on the 350 send it to a machine shop and get a stroker kit for it. Would it be essential to remove the transmission before?

The transmission is a 700r4 and the car as it sits has 124k on it. I’d like to keep the automatic because I don’t plan on any big racing but would replacement be neccesary?

Gary BrownGary
          Participant

[quote=”brittnee305″ post=122410]I may replace old engine mounts just to be sure but the rest sounds straight forward. I plan on later on down the road maybe 10k in on the 350 send it to a machine shop and get a stroker kit for it. Would it be essential to remove the transmission before?

The transmission is a 700r4 and the car as it sits has 124k on it. I’d like to keep the automatic because I don’t plan on any big racing but would replacement be neccesary?[/quote] You can make your 700r4 work with the 350. Before you send the engine to the machine shop I would def remove the trans. When swapping the engine it will also make it easier to emove the tranny first, after all you will have to remove it anyways to bolt up to the 350.

BrittneyBrittney
            Participant

Just didn’t want to have to pull it out later on. Would it be due for replacing by that time? I know heat kills them but it doesn’t have a cooler right now

Gary BrownGary
              Participant

[quote=”brittnee305″ post=122420]Just didn’t want to have to pull it out later on. Would it be due for replacing by that time? I know heat kills them but it doesn’t have a cooler right now[/quote] If money was no object, I’d recommend upgrading to a TH400 which is a beefier HD version of the TH350. However, the 700r4 is a decent tranny that can last quite a while…or not very long at all. You may end up needing a rebuild of that tranny sooner or later but if it works fine now, I see no reason to swap it out.

EDIT: also I highly recommend a cooler, preferably with a thermostat.

dandan

the older cars are really easy to do engine swaps in, not a bunch of technical electrical, as Chevy man said swapping should be relatively simple, as chevyman21 has already stated you may need to mess with your fuel system a little bit and your engine mounts, but it can defenetly be done…

a young lady that likes too talk about engine swaps and making cars go faster, you should get along just fine around here… good luck with your project, keep us posted! 🙂

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                  Participant

Keep something in mind about this. In about 1985, Gm switched from intake bolts that go from an angle into the heads to straight ones…some guys ream out the holes oval so the newer intake can go into older heads, others don’t like this method. There was one year that a tpi system had angled bolts but most don’t. Older smallblocks also take a different oil pan with a two piece main seal and perimeter valve covers, but newer full round main seal, and these chevys use valve covers with center bolts. Know what you have, and know what you are going to…Transmissions all pretty much bolt up the same until 1998 models.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…