Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Car eats Serpentine belts – too much tension

Car eats Serpentine belts – too much tension

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Car eats Serpentine belts – too much tension

• Creator
    Topic
    Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
    Participant

Hello,

So I picked up a 1997 DGC AWD while I work OK my 99 DGC Sport. Both being a 3.8L engine.

I attempted to replace the Serpentine belt on the 97 after I noticed the belt was missing a rib.

When I went to install new one I noticed how impossible it was to get it on as the Tensioner was hitting the limiter and I still couldn’t get enough slack to get the new belt over.

I was able to get it over after some struggle but as you might expect it jumps a rib and the belts turns into string cheese.

Any suggestions? I’m a bit lost.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

see if this helps.

Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
        Participant

OK so I watched the video. I still don’t have an answer for an overly tight belt.

college mancollege man

[quote=”thecomputerkid” post=184520]OK so I watched the video. I still don’t have an answer for an overly tight belt.[/quote]

If the belt is overly tight is the tensioner working Right? Is the belt the right one?
            Are the pulleys aligned?

Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
            Participant

The belt as I indicated is a very tight fit. Belt is the proper belt and I even tested the belt on another car to see if it was missized which it was good.

The Tensioner works perfect. And the spring is the right tension to it and not too springy.

As for pulley alignment I don’t see an issue there. But I can’t say for sure.

The real issue is the system is too right. It could be the power steering pump or alternator may have not been installed correctly.

Wyr TwisterWyr Twister
              Participant

Sounds like the belt is the wrong length ? Quick fix , buy one a little longer .

As to why ? If the 2 vehicles have the same engine & accessories , then you could measure all the pulleys . You could have , for some unknown reason , a pulley that is larger than the one on then other engine ? Or , the idler pulley / tensioner pulley may have been replaced , with an incorrect one , that mechanically fit . Might be from a slightly different vehicle .

But , were it me , once I got it to work , I would forget about why , unless there are other related issues .

But , while I was messing with it , I would check the condition of the idler pulley / tensioner pulley .

God bless
                Wyr

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…