Menu

Testing engine mounts

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

What is the best way to test engine mounts with a stick shift car?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Anonymous

A flashlight and an inspection mirror works great too. More often than not, if a mount is bad, you’ll know just by looking at it.

MattMatt
        Participant

Quoted From zakmartin:

A flashlight and an inspection mirror works great too. More often than not, if a mount is bad, you’ll know just by looking at it.

I think this is a great suggestion. I would always start here, because putting the vehicle in drive and having a helper watch or vice versa just makes me nervous.

Bad_dudeBad_dude
          Participant

I have yet to see an engine without small movements when in gear with gas. I have seen a few new cars with this. I would think gross movements are more likely. However, the best way to check is by visual inspections.
            How long the mounts depend on how you drive.

college mancollege man

I would start the car. lock the E brake. put car in 1st gear. give the car gas and clutch without moving the car. Have a helper observe the engine
              There should be small engine movement. good luckC8-)

MikeMike
              Participant

Thanks…i dont have bad mounts. I just wanted too see how others checked mounts.

hbvxhbvx
                Participant

The reason I posted the other thread regarding this is because a visual inspection of condition without mechanical/movement/play check can be deceiving. A Honda guy told me recently he had what appeared to be an okay rear engine mount on a Civic look fine but the rubber fall to pieces when removed from the engine, so I wouldn’t say appearances alone, though it’s definitely worth simply looking.

I like to feel and push on the rubber to the ones easily accessible from the top, or just under. The rear support is harder to do this on, but I do know the sub-mounts on the lower part of the chassis, like by the drive belts/timing belt area on the 92 Civic have really brittle and degraded rubber.

Does THAT mean a bad mount alone?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Just put it in gear, engine off, and rock the car forward and back. This is the easiest safest way in my opinion.

MikeMike
                    Participant

Thanks eric. Never thought of doing that before

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…