Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • I have a 1989 Toyota 22RE, Transmission question!

I have a 1989 Toyota 22RE, Transmission question!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here I have a 1989 Toyota 22RE, Transmission question!

• Creator
    Topic
    KevinKevin
    Participant

I don’t know when my trucks Automatic transmission had its fluid or its filter changed last, perhaps 5 or 6 years ago when the engine was remanufactured…. and I’m unsure if I should change it based on Erics video about pressure loss, etc when you change really old fluid…
      I recently started feeling a sort of hesitation going from 1st to second gear
      which only happens when the car is cold. Once warmed, this problem does not occur.
      But this is the catalyst for my question.
      What do you guys think? Should I attempt to change it? This is my only vehicle and my budget is limited; I don’t know if I could afford OR if it would be worth remanufacturing the transmission if it dies. Then again, I have heard good things about the 22RE engine.
      I want to do everything within my power to keep her going.

For the record, engine has 130,000 miles on it.
      1989 2.4L SOHC 2WD.
      Engine was torn to pieces by my fathers negligence; he didn’t change the oil at all in the cars younger years… hence the engine overhaul.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

This is a cautioned area.If you do change it.It could be
        a good thing or a bad thing.I would change the fluid with
        the recommended fluid.In my opinion if you do change the
        fluid and something starts acting wrong.Then the problem
        was already there.all you did was let it out of its cage.:unsure:

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

That is a very difficult question to answer. That said no matter what you’re going to have to face this issue at some point. I say change the fluid and perhaps put some Lucas or some other additive in there, it might help. It’s a roll of the dice but either way you’ll have to deal wit it at some point.

KevinKevin
          Participant

Thanks very much, both of you..
            Never changing the fluid or filter is obviously unacceptable..
            Makes complete sense.
            Thanks again.

davedave
            Participant

here is a progressive list of things you can try, in ascending order from ‘least devastating’ to ‘total transmission failure’

1) just drop the pan and change the filter. replace the amount of fluid lost in this service. this is the least invasive and is the most transmission friendly.

2) if you have a transmission cooler, it may be possible to take of a return line and while the engine is running, drain the existing system oil at the same time you fill it up with new fluid. stop the process once you start seeing new fluid drain into the bucket.

3) if you feel you are good with the transmission gods, and are willing to roll the dice, try a professional transmission system back-flush. However, don’t yell at me when you lose 3rd gear 2 weeks later.

KevinKevin
              Participant

LOL, I think I’ll just stick with option 1!
                Although, if I were to never change my fluid or filter, my transmission would probably overheat or tear itsself apart, wouldn’t it?

twiggytwiggy
                Participant

You could always change some of the fluid, maybe 1 or 2 quarts and see how that goes. Then you could do it again a few weeks later.

VictorVictor
                  Participant

I would’nt change the trans oil ,It won’t help the problem and may make it worse. The problem maybe a hard lip seal in the clutch drum thats why when its warms up its better.Also check the TV cable adjustment.

DreamurDreamur
                    Participant

hey did you ever swap out the old fluid on the tranny? What was the final verdict?

KevinKevin
                      Participant

No, I never swapped out the fluid, partially due to my worries of it failing, and also just procrastination, but on top of that I checked the fluid the other week and it was a healthy red color. It didn’t seem discolored at all! Although, I still want to change it.. just so I can get it done and write down the date I did it, so I can change it regularly (to keep the tranny healthy), every 30,000 miles or whatever the service manual recommends.

college mancollege man

if the color and smell was good.change it.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…