Menu

Speedometer Problem

• Creator
    Topic
    EdFiggyEdFiggy
    Participant

1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4cyl Engine (156k miles, runs fine)

For a few days my speedometer was going on the fritz, it would trickle up and down and have a hard time staying in one spot and then sometimes it would just stop completely (go back down to 0) Then the other day on the way home it full circled on me and now it sits at the bottom of the meter and just bounces around and sits under the stop at 0. Anyone got any ideas??

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

The speed sensors on those models are know for problems and what you describe are the classic symptoms. Any chance you have a CEL with a code for a speed sensor?

MikhailMikhail
          Participant

I was having the same problem with my accord. My “S” light, that is the transmission computer light, threw a code that said VSS (speed sensor).
            The problem caused my odometer and tripometer to stop working.

After a couple days and some searching, I finally found that problem in the wiring connection going to the speed sensor. One of the teeth on the wiring harness plug was completely missing. What I did to fix it (and this was in desperation), was cut some wiring and then stuff it in the place the missing tooth was. Amazingly, it completely fixed my problem.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
            Participant

My problem is its not that its not working because it actually moves when it is at the bottom, it just doesn’t act like its supposed to, it will go further in the wrong direction till it sits under the stopper at 0, and then when its idle it sits right on top of the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED spot and bounces back and forth, i was told by the dealer that my CEL should have came on, and i just now found out my light is burnt out so i’m at a stand still here and don’t know what to do.

MikhailMikhail
              Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33432]My problem is its not that its not working because it actually moves when it is at the bottom, it just doesn’t act like its supposed to, it will go further in the wrong direction till it sits under the stopper at 0, and then when its idle it sits right on top of the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED spot and bounces back and forth, i was told by the dealer that my CEL should have came on, and i just now found out my light is burnt out so i’m at a stand still here and don’t know what to do.[/quote]

Does your cruise control still work or not? I heard that if your cruise control works then it means your gauge cluster is bad and should be replaced. You may need a new gauge cluster. If its not throwing you a “S” light or a CEL light, then it furthers the evidence for a bad cluster. It means you VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is working right, which is why there are no codes, its just the gauge is fritzing out.

This is for a 90-95 accord but I think it will apply to a 97,

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

Zach PatnaudeZach Patnaude
                Participant

I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                  Participant

I found out my Cruise Control works perfectly fine so it should be my VSS?

MikhailMikhail
                    Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33457]I found out my Cruise Control works perfectly fine so it should be my VSS?[/quote]

No, I meant the opposite. That should mean that you VSS works fine. Does you car have OBD 1 or OBD 2? (On board diagnostics.) If your car was throwing a code you would have something wrong with the VSS, or wiring too the VSS, but since there is not a code and the CC works, I would say you have a bad gauge cluster.

Not to steal Eric’s followers, there are 2 or 3 Honda forums you can go to get more help about this problem you are having. I would recommend asking questions you have there.

I will list them:

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum

Honda Accord (1990 – 2002)

You’re working on a 97′, mine is a 91′. Your system may be a little different from mine so don’t take my word as 100%. Besides, that’s what you should do with most advice you get, IMO.

MikhailMikhail
                      Participant

[quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

Go to Advance Auto parts or AutoZone and they will scan your code with a scanner for no charge. If you have a CEL or transmission code for a faulty VSS, you may have a problem with your VSS or the wiring going to the VSS.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                        Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33461][quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

Go to Advance Auto parts or AutoZone and they will scan your code with a scanner for no charge. If you have a CEL or transmission code for a faulty VSS, you may have a problem with your VSS or the wiring going to the VSS.[/quote]
                          I checked with AutoZone, they told me no autozone does free scans anymore, you have to find the code and they will tell you what it means.

MikhailMikhail
                          Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33464][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33461][quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

Go to Advance Auto parts or AutoZone and they will scan your code with a scanner for no charge. If you have a CEL or transmission code for a faulty VSS, you may have a problem with your VSS or the wiring going to the VSS.[/quote]
                            I checked with AutoZone, they told me no autozone does free scans anymore, you have to find the code and they will tell you what it means.[/quote]

AdvanceAuto should. If not then take it to an auto shop and they should scan it for like 5$.

You can look the code up on the internet too.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                            Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33468][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33464][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33461][quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

I checked with AutoZone, they told me no autozone does free scans anymore, you have to find the code and they will tell you what it means.[/quote]

AdvanceAuto should. If not then take it to an auto shop and they should scan it for like 5$.

You can look the code up on the internet too.[/quote]
                              I need to code to look it up though, i found a scanner for like 20$ that will find the codes, i don’t know if it will erase them or turn off the light, but autozone could do that if i knew the problem.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                              Participant

Also there is no AdvanceAuto within 100 miles of where i live.

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
                                Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33464][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33461][quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

http://www.ehow.com/how_6367136_read-codes-1995-honda-civic.html

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                                  Participant

[quote=”johnbkobb” post=33535][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33464][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33461][quote=”NorfolkBMX” post=33455]I Am the owner of a 1995 Honda Civic Dx and have a very similar problem except my speedometer almost never works and sometimes it will randomly just click on and start working for a few minutes and just die out. i do not have a code scanner to figure out the service code but need help with this issue bad. please help[/quote]

http://www.ehow.com/how_6367136_read-codes-1995-honda-civic.html%5B/quote%5D
                                    The problem with that is my check engine light is burned out.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…