Menu

2000 Honda Odyssey not accelerating

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Honda Odyssey not accelerating

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert McMahangaseousmercury
    Participant

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey w/ 230000 miles. The van is able to gradually accelerate up to speed no problem, however, when I try to rapidly accelerate it bogs down completely. It is especially difficult goin up inclines. I recently ran out of gas and haven’t had this problem before that. The engine also feels to be having a misfire intermittently. I performed a power balance test and all the coil packs seem to be functioning as they should. I feel this is a fuel pressure/pump issue. I just ordered a guage and should have it in a few days. There are no codes. What are your guys thoughts? Thank you

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      davedave
      Participant

It sounds like you are experiencing symptoms of low fuel pressure. I would perform a fuel volume test; you should be able to fill a 20oz pop bottle with gas in 15 seconds from the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

JoshMcJoshMc
        Participant

I sort of doubt that it is a fuel pressure issue because the pressure is at its highest before the engine starts. When the fuel pressure is low it will usually be hard to start. It could be a fuel delivery issue as in a clogged fuel filter or injector though. When the engine needs more fuel than the filter will let through it will cause issues. The same can happen with the injectors so I think my first step would be to run a good fuel system cleaner through it to see if it helps. If there are no check engine lights on it is probably not a sensor or electronic part. Good luck and I hope this helps.

davedave
          Participant

it is still possible to fail a fuel volume test (from the reasons you’ve stated above) even with good fuel pressure. make a good fuel system diagnosis before doing a bunch of work or throwing parts at the problem.

college mancollege man

if you ran out of gas and now there is a power problem.
              If there is a fuel filter start there.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

[quote=”college man” post=36398]if you ran out of gas and now there is a power problem.
                If there is a fuel filter start there.[/quote]

Not a bad idea really.

It’s not often Honda’s have fuel pump issues but I think it’s worth checking the fuel pressure and possibly changing the fuel filter if you know your ignition system is in good shape.

If you don’t find anything there then you might look to the transmission. Unfortunately those vans are known for transmission issues in those years.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…