Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Need some help with my cruise control.

Need some help with my cruise control.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Need some help with my cruise control.

• Creator
    Topic
    William McClurgWilliam McClurg
    Participant

I did a search of the forum on my phone and was not able to answer my own questions. On my 1993 Honda Accord EX with 233,000 miles, the cruise control does not work. When I hit the main cruise relay switch on the dash to the left of the wheel, the green light lights up. Intermittently, the “brake” light on the vehicle display lights up. (Not the ABS light or the brake warning light, just the brake light on the display where it tells you if a door or the trunk is open) This has no effect on the operation of the cruise control. I checked the fuse, it is intact. When I hit the set/decel button, nothing happens. The cruise light doesn’t turn on in the instrument panel, vehicle doesn’t attempt to maintain speed, nada. I’m really not sure how to troubleshoot the cruise from under the hood, and I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Will

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
      Participant

since the cruise light doesnt light up on the dash i would suspect something electrical. probably the switch on the steering column. I dont really know how to diagnose that though.

DaveDave
        Participant

Get the Honda service manual.

I have a Honda and I just pulled up the service manual (I got the electronic version on eBay a couple of years ago for $30). There’s a diagnostic chart and test procedures in it and it’s pretty lengthy.

When it comes to problems like this, the only way to truly know and fix the problem is to follow the diagnostic charts that the manufacturer created and do some long and tedious testing.

There’s no way around it.

Any posts here are just going to be guesses – maybe educated guesses from the Honda Techs, but guesses never the less.

college mancollege man

check your brake switch.if its faulty it will cancel cruise.
            do the rear brake lights come on when brake pedal is pushed?
            here is a link that might help.

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/4rbt9-honda-accord-cruise-control-stopped-working-light.html

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
            Participant

Troubleshoot the intermittent brake light on the dash first. That will probably prevent the use of the cruise control because when the brakes are applied they turn off the cruise control. If the computer sees a brake on indicator it will not allow the cruise control to come on. Then if the cruise control problem persists update it here.

John

Participant

College man, the brake light switch is what, when opened by pressing the brake pedal, activates the brake lights(as well as cutting the cruise), right? If that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that switch is ok. I had one fail open on an old Nissan I used to have, but the brake lights work properly on my Honda. I guess I’ll have to pony up the $16.90 I found the FSM for online. That’ll have to wait until payday this Friday though :/

college mancollege man

[quote=”Prince Caspian” post=41535]College man, the brake light switch is what, when opened by pressing the brake pedal, activates the brake lights(as well as cutting the cruise), right? If that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that switch is ok. I had one fail open on an old Nissan I used to have, but the brake lights work properly on my Honda. I guess I’ll have to pony up the $16.90 I found the FSM for online. That’ll have to wait until payday this Friday though :/[/quote]

actually the brake switch is (n.o.)normally open switch.
                  when depressed the brake switch would close.The brake lights should
                  illuminate and the cruise would shut off.here is a link for a wiring
                  diagram.

http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                  Participant

There is also a plastic tab that rests on the brake pedal arm. The tab is there to hit the button on the brake light switch to open the circuit. These plastic tabs tend to break a lot. Although, when they break, your brake lights would constantly be lit haha. BUT it sounds like the prob is intermittent so you can either back up close to a wall or something, press the brake pedal and see if the brake lights come on, or have somebody stand behind the car. If the lights do come on, press the brake pedal again and try flicking the switch to see if the lights shut off. Then I’d say do the test that college man suggested.

Participant

Looks like its as simple as the clutch switch. There may be a brake wiring/voltage issue as well, but I noticed the plastic tab that actuates the clutch switch was missing. Hopefully another $.06 fix. 😀

Will

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                      Participant

Haha nice! Good job!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

[quote=”Prince Caspian” post=41938]Looks like its as simple as the clutch switch. There may be a brake wiring/voltage issue as well, but I noticed the plastic tab that actuates the clutch switch was missing. Hopefully another $.06 fix. 😀

Will[/quote]

This video can help you with that.

As for the brake light switch, see if your brake fluid is low. If it is top it off and recheck for the condition. If you do find the brake fluid low check the condition of the brake pads. When the brake pads get low the fluid level will drop in the master cylinder.

Participant

Your video illustrated the problem I have with my clutch switch perfectly. I had the same problem with a 94 Nissan I used to own, and fixed it with a nickel and a penny epoxied to the arm of the brake pedal. The thickness was perfect!

Currently, I have some aluminum foil stuffed into the hole on my clutch pedal just to see if that was the problem. That did fix the problem, and the cruise control works without regard to if the brake lamp is on or not.

As far as the brakes, the fluid level is good, I really think its a wiring/sensor voltage issue. The previous owner(my dad) decided to drill a small hole in the brake lens to drain water out of it. Since then there is always condensation in the brake lens itself. With the holidays upon us, fixing non-essentials has kind of taken a back seat for a bit.

Thanks for the response!

Will

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

In fact I’ve done a video on this very thing.

As for the brake light on the dash you might check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If it’s low then check the front brake pad wear. Brake fluid gets low when the pads wear.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…