Menu

Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

• Creator
    Topic
    Rick Crandallcrandall
    Participant

I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt that I am having difficulty extracting. The bolt is pictured as #8 in this photo.

Would it be alright to use the 7 remaining bolts and not worry about it? Any other options if I am unable to extract this bolt? I could remove the head of course, and have a better angle at drilling it out. Just wondering if that would even be necessary.

Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      exceptionalchrisexceptionalchris
      Participant

I have broken bolt 8 and 5 like in the picture. I was able to get 8 out but not 5. If you attempt to bypass the bolt you will have an exhaust leak. Or even a lean code bank 1. It is possible to get out. You do have a lot of room to work with. Use a chisel and hammer to work it out. Lub will help get it out too. Try this before a bolt extractor. I never have luck with those, they just end up braking. Good luck try to drill through an extractor if it does brke. It will be even harder.

Participant

To add: almost for got I was able to drill a small hole in the bolt. Hammer a small hex socket in that hole. And ratchet the broken bolt out. good luck. this is good to be frustrating.

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
          Participant

There’s another method. I’d drill it out, measure it, then tap it and put a stainless steel “heli coil” insert into the hole and you be fine. Get the Heli Coil kits at auto parts stores and this video from Dwayne at RealFixesRealFast.com shows exactly how to do it, for a manifold bolt no less, in this video.

You don’t have to be a journeyman machinist to do this, but be careful and don’t let it frustrate you. If you bugger it up, I would foresee that you’re going to have some real headaches.

Happier Motoring.
            Sparks

Participant

I have use a “heli coil” before for this exact application. And it did not hold. I best bet is you use the original threads. If possible. You are correct you don’t have to be a “journeyman machinist” to extract a bolt. But as any mechanic knows, a broken bolt can give even the more experience mechanic a hard time. The problem “crandall” will run into is, there is far less room to work will then in the video. Makes drilling a straight hole almost impossible. Remember you can take out the radiator for an extra 2 inches. Good luck.

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
              Participant

The hole should be straight, I agree. But to get it there, he could pull the manifold or borrow a 3/8 right angle drill, air or A.C. He should also use the insertion tool that comes in the kit and follow the directions.

And, he might have better luck with E-Z lock inserts.

Rick Crandallcrandall
                Participant

Exceptional Chris – I did get the radiator fan out for a little bit more wiggle room with the drill. I think you are right, probably need to get the whole radiator out. :angry:

Rick Crandallcrandall
                  Participant

Update – I ended up using my Dremel to drill out the bolt. B)

I used the stone on the far left to get a dent started in the bolt. I then used the other three bits to grind away. The little guy on the far right was the most effective at breaking up the bolt.

Thanks to all for the help on this one.

Attachments:
                    Participant

Great news. I like hearing happy endings.

college mancollege man

Glad you got it out. 😉

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…