Menu

1994-1997 Honda ABS Light

• Creator
    Topic
    Blaze Dela-CruzBlaze Dela-Cruz
    Participant

I have a 1997 Honda Accord EX and my ABS light is on. I pulled the code using the paperclip method. It had only one code which is, one long blink with NO second short blink, then it did it again one long blink and NO second short blink, and then again one long blink with NO second short blink. It only did that three times and then the ABS light stop blinking after that. I went on to your website and it stated, ABS pump motor over-run for code 1 but can you double check for me please.

Here is the list from ETCG website for 1994-1997 Honda ABS:

1 – ABS pump motor over-run
      1 2 ABS pump motor
      1 3 high pressure leakage
      1 4 pressure switch
      1 8 high pressure system
      2 1 parking brake
      3 1 pulser RF
      3 2 pulser LF
      3 4 pulser RR
      3 8 pulser LR
      3 12 different diameter tires
      4 1 wheel sensor RF
      4 2 wheel sensor LF
      4 4 wheel sensor RR
      4 8 wheel sensor LR
      5 – rear wheel lock – R/L
      5 4 rear wheel lock – R
      5 8 rear wheel lock – L
      6 – fail-safe relay – F/R
      6 1 fail-safe relay – F
      6 4 fail-safe relay – R
      7 1 solenoid – RF
      7 2 solenoid – LF
      7 4 solenoid – R
      8 1 ABS function
      8 2 CPU comparison
      8 4 IC self-check

I really don’t know what the code I pulled out means so can anyone help please. Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Honda ABS systems… These older systems always seem to have issues with the pump or the accumulator.

The good news is that you can replace parts on these years ABS modules…. Bad news.. a pump is around $300.. and an accumulator is about the same.

First question.. When you turn on the car, do you hear the ABS motor working?

Second, Check the level of fluid in the ABS module (not master cylinder) and report back…

For the code you have mentioned (ABS pump motor over-run) – It can be that you need to add fluid and bleed the ABS module, or you need a new motor…

-Karl

college mancollege man
          Participant

I’m not to sure how to check if the ABS motor is working or not. I just checked the fluid and it has none.

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”budsmokah420″ post=68404]I’m not to sure how to check if the ABS motor is working or not. I just checked the fluid and it has none.[/quote]

That is an issue… and more importantly, where did the fluid go?

You may have a leak somewhere around reservoir, the O rings on the accumulator are known to go bad as well… You may be able to pull a salvage yard unit… Hopefully your pump and accumulator are still good.

By the way, on these cars, many times you can hear the pump running if you turn the key forward to the run position. I would not be surprised if the pump will not run as a fail safe if it has low or no fluid, so you probably won’t hear it.

-Karl

Participant

Thank you as you’ve been much helpful.

TomTom
                Participant

The ABS systems in these cars are notorious for developing leaks, and other issues, and often it is the actual ABS pump / accumulator system that craps out on them. When it is working, the ABS pump is a pretty noisy beast, if yours were operating, you would very likely know it.

On the positive side, the ABS on these cars is a self contained, add on system, which in short means that if it isn’t working, the regular brake system will work perfectly normally still. If fixing the ABS is out of your price range, on the passengers side kick well, there is a controller for the ABS system. Simply unplugging the wiring harness for that will turn off the ABS light on the dashboard, and the car will operate, and stop as if it never had ABS installed in it.

richiepearcerichiepearce
                  Participant

I would like to add: doing what has been suggested regarding disconnecting a safety system will keep you on the road, however here in England it would be an MOT failure and also have an impact on your insurance in the case of an accident.

I don’t want to sound negative but it is important that you are aware of potential implications when disconnecting safety systems.

TomTom
                    Participant

Yes, my advice may not be any good outside of the US. The car was available in the US without the ABS to begin with. Disabling the system effectively turns it into a non ABS car, it will pass safety inspection in the US that way, and is perfectly fine to drive. Mine passed state inspection twice with no ABS before I fixed the problem with it, but I can’t speak for what the laws are in other countriesl

richiepearcerichiepearce
                      Participant

That’s the beauty of the world wide web,one size does not fit all!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…