Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Toyota Solara Front End Noise – Cant find it!

2000 Toyota Solara Front End Noise – Cant find it!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Toyota Solara Front End Noise – Cant find it!

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

Hello guys!

I am new to the forum, and like many I am a big fan of ETCG.

Anyways, on with the issue I am having:

I recently purchased a 2000 Toyota Solara, fully loaded, 3.0L V-6. When I bought it, the owner told me he just got the clutch replaced. I took that as a plus and moved on.

When I test drove it prior to buying it, I heard the front end noise. The best I can describe it would be a “Pop”. It sounds like something is popping out quickly when accelerating. The frustrating part is, I cannot duplicate the symptom outside the vehicle – it only happens under light acceleration or first take-offs, shifts, etc. (Seems to me like it happens when the engine is under weight/stress).

The owner told me the noise was a strut, and I immediately knew it most likely wasn’t.. seeing as when you bounce the car it doesn’t bounce ridiculously at all.

I took it to a local mechanic that I know, and he took a glance. He took the wheels off and noticed that the sway bar bushings were new… but the strut mount that goes to the engine only had ONE of the FOUR bolts actually on it… So he replaced the bolts, put the wheels on, and the noise got worse. It happens more often now.

I am stummped – Where to look? Any ideas guys? I know its hard for you all to help me without hearing/seeing it, but again, the best I can describe it as is a ‘pop’ or like a hollow tap on wood.

It can be felt through the brake pedal as well. Also, there is no given spot of the noise, it seems to kinda happen all over… Right side, middle, left side. Really hard to pinpoint.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

– Mike

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

For a start…check your other engine mounts and transmission mounts…. Since the car had a recent clutch put in, they had the transaxle out and might have missed putting something back in… If you can remove the drivers side wheel and look in to ensure they put the mount bolts for the transaxle in correctly.

-Karl

MikeMike
        Participant

I will ask the guy who has the car to take a look tomorrow morning – His plan is to thoroughly look through all the suspension/mount equipment and check for any broken parts/play in movement… Hopefully we can pinpoint it… such an annoying noise!

Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
          Participant

Popping sounds whilst going over bumps are usually worn strut mounts. But I would do as Karl said and check all the engine and transmission mounts first.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

+1 to the above posts.

Some noises are a pain to track down sometimes. I had an eclipse at work with a popping noise during right turns braking only. It ended up being a ball joint issue.

Talk about head scratching lol.

college mancollege man
              Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…