Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • No power to the cigarette lighter plug

No power to the cigarette lighter plug

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here No power to the cigarette lighter plug

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel CrispinDaniel Crispin
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2002 Hyundai Accent GSi and there is a small issue I need to fix.

There is no power at the cigarette lighter plug. My first thought was that the fuse for it must be blown. I checked the fuse box Under the Hood but I see nothing that looks like a fuse for the cigarette lighter… Under what description would it be?

Also, if it’s not a fuse problem, any guess on what is usually the cause for this type of problem?

I did a search on Youtube and Google for this problem and found nothing at all, so I am guessing it’s not a common problem OR it’s always a fuse problem. Anyway, hope you can give me a few pointers.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Check for another fuse box in the car…

Look on the left side of the steering wheel…. Try removing the little drawer to the side and look behind it… If not, check under the dash and in the general area…

Worst case, check the owners manual… If you don’t have one you can download one here…

http://www.hyundaimanuals.org/hyundai-1.html

-Karl

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

If you can’t find a fuse marked for it, check ALL the fuses. That’s usually the best policy when dealing with electrical issues like this. If you have a test light, you can check the fuses more quickly simply by grounding the light and probing the metal tabs in the backs of the fuses. If one is bad only one side will light up. More info on solving electrical issues can be found here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
          Participant

Some lighter sockets of long ago had the fuse built into the base of the socket. You had to pry out the socket to get to the fuse.

Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
            Participant

See if you can get your hands on a wiring diagram and see where the power flows in the circuit. Start with the lighter and move backwards. (After checking the all the fuses of course)

Participant

Thanks everyone, I will check for all of that in the morning.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                Participant

If a previous owner had some aftermarket electrical device in the car one place people often go for power is the wire to the cigarette lighter. You may find it chewed up.

TomTom
                  Participant

My first guess would be fuse . .. if that checks out, some cars use a relay for the lighter outlet, which could be the problem.

Participant

Thanks for the replies. There is a cable comming out of the console very close from the cigarette lighter. The cable is for the controller of the CD Changer so I am guessing they used the power that usually goes to the cigarette lighter to power the CD Changer. Can’t know unless I remove the console (which I am not gonna do). I will still check all the fuses once températures are more acceptable.

ErikErik
                      Participant

Yup toyotakarl hit it right on the money heres the diagram the fuse is inside

Attachments:
                        EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

Since it has an aftermarket stereo installed, I think it’s worth looking into how it’s wired. Installers often use the power outlet power as a feed and they sometimes screw things up in the process. Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…