Menu

2002 Honda Accord P0780

• Creator
    Topic
    jfulljfull
    Participant

My accord has all the lights flashing…p0780. I did some research and it def is a trans/shift issue. Question is, has anyone seen this trouble code before and fixed it or got it fixed. I’m a def DIY’er, so I’m more curious how difficult it is to fix this issue. Any idea on difficulty, whats involved, and possibly cost…? thanks in advance!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Third GearThird Gear
      Participant

How is the transmission shifting? It seems like there are multiple things that can cause that code. It could be something simple like a solenoid. I’m sure Eric knows since he’s a Honda guy.

jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
        Participant

Yep sure have, They almost all need an overhaul.

Honda extended the warranty to 100k for this issue but likely your warranty is up.

jfulljfull
          Participant

shifting super hard but only at times…

ya car has 115k on it – dang, just out of the warranty period.
            Some of the other tech serv bulletins say it could just be the solenoids as well, however they say you might as well go in and replace it at that point…
            I haven’t ever done a honda AT transmission – so I’m not sure what I’m going to end up doing.

hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
            Participant

more info=v6 or 2.3?….did you use non-honda transmission fluid…i know the 3.0L are problemic..one of my 2001 accords has almost 600K on the trans…always use honda type fluids

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Let me put it this way, for about 3 years straight I was putting in 1 or 2 of those transmissions in a day at the dealer, I can actually do it in about 2 hours if I put my mind to it, that code and harsh shifting pretty much mean you need a new transmission, I recommend an aftermarket rebuild over salvage as your likenly to end up in the same situation with a salvage yard unit.

NJDevils95NJDevils95
                Participant

Eric, I also have an ’02 4 cylinder Accord on its 2nd remanufactured auto transmission. As far as I know Honda never officially released the cause of the 4 cylinder automatic failures, only the V6’s. Did you ever tear one down (a 4 cylinder auto) and check what components failed or just R&R? I have read that the failures may be caused by the torque converter, more specifically the clutch–something about how when the torque converter locks up the clutch absorbs too much shock. In case you were wondering, I always had Honda perform maintenance on my car. I have to speculate that it wasn’t just inferior parts but, more likely, an engineer design flaw.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Honestly in my experience it’s rare for the 4 cylinder transmissions to fail but I’ve seen plenty of V6 transmission failurers. From what I’ve seen it’s usually some outside force that causes the 4 cylinder auto to fail like incorrect fluid or incorrect fluid level but perhaps there’s something I’m not aware of with those transmissions. BTW the dealership SHOULD give you the best service as far as replacing the transmission but if they were careless in their install that might have had something to do with it but that’s just speculation especially since I’ve never seen the vehicle for myself.

luisluis
                    Participant

i have the same problem, flashing d4, the transmission was rebuild, but still the same, the car will start normally, but wont shift to second gear, once it fails to shift the d4 will start flashing, and then its on limp mode, the solenoids were tested and all came out good, they were also temporarily replaced with other solenoids but same result, i can drive the car after it fails to shift to 2nd gear, by putting the shifter on 2nd, wich weirdly enough it seems to engage, and then move it to d3 to gain speed, apart from that i got it scaned and it showed incorrect gear information, when the shifter was put into park, it showed other state (i think it was neutral), but in the dash board it showed park, and park did engage, but the signal going to the computer is wrong, sorry that its too long but its having weird sympthoms, the code is p0780, and it had it even before the transmission was rebuilt. could it be the PCM?

Mark BabunovicMark Babunovic
                      Participant

While I’m not sure from OP whether this is a V6 or a 4, I had the same light/code with my 2002 Accord 4-cylinder. In that case simply detaching and re-attaching the connector to the 2nd clutch pressure switch cleared it. I had not had a significant issue with the transmission while the maintenance light and code were there, although it ocassionally would take longer/higher RPM than usual to switch into… second gear.

luisluis
                        Participant

its a v6, transmission rebuit, and it doesnt go into 2nd, it can go to almost redline and it will not shift, after the transmission was rebuilt the car feels much better until it goes into limp mode,

luisluis
                          Participant

well i have a 2002 honda accord v6 auto, i bought it as my forst car, it supposedly had bad solenoids, it came out to be a bad transmission, well i pay for a rebuild and it didnt work, the code p0780 came out before the rebuild and after the rebuild, i checked all sensors, on the dealership i was told that a pressure witch is not working properly, so i got the 2nds and 3rd gear pressure sensors switched, since they are the same part, and still nothing, now it shift even harsher, my simpthos of the car are abit different, when i start the car its all normal, 1st runs nice and strong, but it tries to go to 2nd but nothing happens, like if 2nd gear didnt exist, and then it will skip to 3rd gear, after that i have to manualy change gears, d1 and d2 become the same, and d3 with d4 become the same, so as if i have only 2 gears, 2nd and third, once d4 light starts flashig. Any idea to why? the dealership says the computer might be damaged, or if thats not the case then the transission is bad, but the fluid is redish color and sweet smell, i donk know what else to do, this car is quite rare where i am, i cant get parts easily or test the ECU with other car of the same type at the dealership cuz even they dont get these cars of this vintage anymore. i only seen about 4 in the city.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…