Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Mevotech Ball joints any good? 97 Blazer

Mevotech Ball joints any good? 97 Blazer

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Mevotech Ball joints any good? 97 Blazer

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel DominBlazerguy1983
    Participant

I am looking for replacement ball joints for my 97 Chevy Blazer 4×4. Moog is way out of my budget. I found a set of Mevotech Ball joints on eBay for $60 for all 4. From the pictures they look well constructed. I biggest issue with the ball joints I have already tired including Moog, they all leak grease causing them to get water in them and wear quickly. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Attachments:
    Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

I have used Mevotech products before and other than the supplied fasteners being soft metal that seem to snap easily the parts themselves appear to be as good as anything else. The parts have a good warranty on them also.

Trucks such as yours eat ball joints for breakfast for some reason so the cheaper ones will probably last as long as the expensive ones.

Keeping them greased frequently with Moly Disulfide based grease also helps prolong their life but don’t add too much grease as it splits the boots and allows contaminants to enter..

Daniel DominBlazerguy1983
        Participant

Hello everyone…

I wanted to update everyone. I ordered and installed the Mevotech brand ball joints for my Blazer. I ended up getting them on Rockauto.com instead of eBay and actually saved $6 by doing so. I am glad I did because the quality of them are great and the ones on eBay I think where a service grade quality and din’t look as good. I would highly recommend Mevotech brand ball joints to anyone. The quality of the construction and hardware is very high. Even the rubber boots look good and don’t leak the grease out when you fill them up after install. I had crappy Drive Works Advance house brand on there before and they where shot in 1.5 years. The hardware (screws and bolts) where such a low grade that the threads ripped off the screw causing the nut to just sin on the screw when trying to remove them. I didn’t it in my buddy’s garage and didn’t have all my fancy air tools and had to use a hammer and cold chisel to brake the heads off to even remove the ball joints. I was at it from 10pm until 4am this morning. The one Moog Ball joint that was on the one side (because they didn’t have enough Drive Works in stock when I bought them) did’t give me any trouble removing the bolts and the joint was still pretty stiff but the boot was shot and the grease was everywhere. I will say that the Mevotech brand so far looks way better than even the quality of the Moog. I will keep everyone posted after they age a bit to see how well they will hold up, but as of now I will only buy Mevotech brand. I checked out their website and they make a lot of stuff.

The Blazer drives like a dream now. There is still a little float but, that’s because the idler arm is bad again. Even the ride is nice and it doesn’t hit nearly as hard over bumps now. Wish me luck everyone.

college mancollege man

great. Thanks for the update. 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Thanks for the update. I’ll just add that the grease is suppose to leak out of the joint. Periodic maintenance helps keep the joint clean. When you add new grease it’s suppose to force out the old grease and any dirt along with it. Glad you’re happy with the Mevotech stuff. I’ve used them for other things and their stuff is pretty good.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…