Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1997 Blazer 4×4 front CV Axle removal?

1997 Blazer 4×4 front CV Axle removal?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1997 Blazer 4×4 front CV Axle removal?

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel DominBlazerguy1983
    Participant

1997 Chevy Blazer 4×4 2-door 4.3L. I was wondering what the trick is to get the driver side axle out of the front differential so I can change the inner seal? The gear oil is leaking out of the seal where the CV axle goes into the front diff. I tried to pry it out with a crowbar and it didn’t want to pop out. I was afraid of prying too hard an damaging the differential. This is not the bolt on style CV Axle that I have found tons of videos on YouTube for. Thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave OlsonDave
      Participant

Sometimes the axles are a little difficult to remove, but it should just pop out. Try turning the shaft and pry again and try prying at different spots around the shaft. Another thing I have done is to push it in twist it and yank it back. (that sounded dirty)

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Sometimes a couple of taps with a hammer also helps. Try the ‘rotation method’ first however. It’s much less violent and often yields the best results.

Keep us posted.

Participant

I wanted to update everyone. I finally got the axle out. I used an old pickle fork for separating ball joints and got it to pop right out of the diff. I installed a new oil seal and no more leaks. I am going to replace the CV axle when I do the ball joints next week because the boot won’t stay on properly and it is throwing grease everywhere. I figured it would be easier to replace the entire axle instead of messing with the boot. Not that expensive and it has 142k on it. Thanks got all the great advice everyone! If I get the energy I may make a video on youtube of the axle replacement and ball joint’s replacement.

college mancollege man

Glad you got it. keep us posted on your progress.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Cool, thanks for the update. As for the boot, this might help if you wanted to go that rout.

Participant

Hello Everyone…

I wanted to update everyone. I installed a new CV axle on the driver side because the boot wouldn’t stay attached anymore. With the millage and age I didn’t bother rebuilding and replacing boot. It was cheap enough to just replace the entire half shaft. I did have a little issue getting the new one in. I used a rubber ma-lit to tap it into the differential. I hope I didn’t damage the diff but, I didn’t have any other way to get leverage to push it in. The teeth looked a little different than the original one. Its and aftermarket brand from Advance. I don’t seem to be having any issues with it. I assume it was the new ring on the end that was causing the resistance to pop in. The new half shaft locks in when you put it in 4-wheel drive so I guess it’s on and its not leaking any gear oil thanks to the new seal I installed last week.

college mancollege man

Consider it a victory. Thanks for the update.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…