Menu

Electrical Corrosion

• Creator
    Topic
    TravisTravis
    Participant

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber and had a CEL code P0481. Upon further investigation and internet research I found in the wheel well behind the fender liner a relay box for the cooling fans. The intention was to take the relays out and clean them up. Well, that ended very quickly when two of them decided to leave their leads in the sockets thanks to corrosion.

This brings me to my main question. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get these leads out of the sockets? I am unable to grab them with pliers because they broke flush with the sockets.

Attached are pictures, one of the relay box with the broken pins marked and the other is of one relay that broke.

Ill get better/more photos if needed.

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TomTom
      Participant

You might be able to use a pick or two to get a bit of bite into them, and work them out a bit at a time. Only other thing I can think of is to take the box apart, and then push the remains out from the inside.

A toyotakarlIts me

+1 to above

Some spray electrical cleaner down there… It may help loosen things up a bit and put a pick in but try not to widen the slots…

The other suggestion is to flip it over and remove the individual plugs from the assembly and then try to work them out…

Lastly, go to a scrapyard and try to cut an old one out and replace…

JMHO

-Karl

zerozero
          Participant

Before going and pulling the relay box apart I would check to make sure there’s some available for you to buy. I’m not really sure you’d be able to get the female side out with the male end in it, there’s usually some sort of retention on the open side for the connector.

Probably a good idea to give a smear of di-electric grease to the various plugs on everything in there once it’s fixed or replaced.

TravisTravis
            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill give a try with picking them out. I didn’t see any good way of opening up the bottom of the box without completely breaking it. Ill have to look again though once it stops raining. Ill keep you all posted when the weather clears.

IngvarIngvar
              Participant

Get a awl or sharpen a small flat head screw driver into awl shape. Also, they sell picks at Home Depot. You want something with very narrow yest strong tip, so if you take it to a grinder, make sure you have plenty of cold water to cool it down. Do NOT allow metal to start changing color and annealing on you.
                Then simply stick such pick, or awl, on the narrow end of prong slot, and pry tip slowly up. You may want to go in turns, from end to end. Goal is to get it out far enough to grab with needle nose pliers.

TravisTravis
                Participant

Hello everyone! The rain has stopped and I finally had a day off to fiddle with the relay box. I managed to get the whole box apart. I came apart in 3 pieces. The bottom cover comes off just like the top, and then there’s a white shroud that sits over the actual terminals. Once I got that white piece off I could see the real damage.

I ended up using what I’ll describe as an over-sized dental pick. I found that the terminals really no longer existed thanks to the severity of the corrosion. So I decided to remove what was left of the wires and relocate them to one of the two unused spots. The larger gauge wires snap in while the remaining smaller one had to be clipped. I relocated from the left connector on the bottom to the right, top one.

So after attaching new terminals to the smaller wires and seating them up in the box. I was able to give a test to my relocated wiring. I’m no mechanic or electrical engineer but it seems that relay controlled something in the starter circuit. Had a minor panic attack when the starter did not engage. I had not started the car since last Sunday night. I rechecked my connections to find on of the new terminals had slid out. Fixed that and it fired right up. Now I just have to wait for the new relays to arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                  Participant

You are a better man than I. I took one look at that box in the first picture and thought it was toast.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…