Menu

3rd Brake Light (Not working)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 3rd Brake Light (Not working)

• Creator
    Topic
    DavidDavid
    Participant

:stick: Hello everyone,
      Got a 1991 Honda Accord with the 3rd Brake Light not coming on when brake pedal is pressed. Both brake lights come when the brake pedal is pressed so it would seem the brake light switch is in fact still good.
      Have not located any blown fuses with this car as this is the only problem electrically with this car. No 3 light brake which is required for the vehicle inspection. Any clues where else to check?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bryan CarterBryan Carter
      Participant

[quote=”sirerma” post=108605]:stick: Hello everyone,
        Got a 1991 Honda Accord with the 3rd Brake Light not coming on when brake pedal is pressed. Both brake lights come when the brake pedal is pressed so it would seem the brake light switch is in fact still good.
        Have not located any blown fuses with this car as this is the only problem electrically with this car. No 3 light brake which is required for the vehicle inspection. Any clues where else to check?[/quote]

OK, is this one of the 1991 Honda Accords fitted with Honda’s patented 1,000 Year ForeverBulb, or it the standard kind that burns out and needs periodic replacement?

AustinAustin
        Participant

Pull the light out have a bud depress the brake pedal and check for power and ground at the connector to the light. Should have 12 volts on the hot.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

+1, check for power and ground at the light socket when you depress the brake pedal. If you have them, replace the bulb and recheck it’s operation. If not, then it’s time to break out a wiring diagram. More info here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

DavidDavid
            Participant

No voltage found at the socket. The bulb test good using alligator clips from the battery post to the bulb. So no need for another bulb. The socket is clean and shinny with no indication of any moisture deposits or corrosion. The wiring looks to be in perfect shape. Going to explore that brake light switch perhaps the 3rd light is controlled via that same brake light switch assembly. Still looking.

Keymaster

Now it’s time for a wiring diagram to find out which wire is suppose to bring power to the socket. From there you can trace it back to the source of the problem. There may be a connector or wire somewhere that’s at issue. To my knowledge there is no relay just for the rear light. I believe all the brake lights are tied together in some way and they get their signal form the brake light switch. Since the other brake lights work, I don’t think theres an issue with the switch. Likely it’s a connector or wiring issue based on your description.

Russell SawyerRussell Sawyer
                Participant

Power Probe makes an awesome circuit tracer that my help you with this problem which is a huge time saver.

[video width=550 height=309 type=youtube]nXmzh_f2VQg[/video]

DavidDavid
                  Participant

:cheer: Good news fellow car buffs. Found the cause of the no brake light 3rd light or high brake light not to lite up. Somebody before me owning this car must of had some sort of brake light problem. These Honda Accords are wired in series. So if any of the bulbs on that circuit fail it reports to the dash board heads up to the operator that a brake light is out. Well, I found the circuit that is suppose to provide this power to the high mount light. Right side brake light has an extra circuit that feeds off the brake lights as the left side brake light has an extra circuit to provide a trailer hook up with the standard turn signals running lights and brakes. That right side circuit had been change by somebody in the recent past for what ever reason unknown to me. I ran a jumper from the supply side of the brake switch to the high mount light as the grounds were all found to be intact. The Green wire with a blue trace is suppose to back feed from the Green wire with a yellow trace but that blue trace wire ended up going to no where. That is why I had no brake light on the high mount 3rd brake light but had brake lights on the rear of the car.
                    To figure this all out I had to pretty much tear apart the whole insides of the car to get to all the wire runs. Well.. now it is time to put it all back together. Problem solved. Thank you everyone for all the post and suggestions along the way on this one.

Keymaster

Good find! That was a strange problem indeed. Thanks for the update and for using the ETCG forum.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…