Menu

Emissions Smell On Cold Start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Emissions Smell On Cold Start

• Creator
    Topic
    davedave
    Participant

I have a 2005 Scion xA, which has a noticeable emissions smell within the car on start. From what I can remember it only happens from a cold start. This has only been happening within the past year and I know it won’t go away with a change in seasons as I previous thought for some reason.

I am a complete amateur and only recently did my first oil change but 100% willing to learn and get dirty. I’ve also noticed a collapsed upper radiator hose which i’m not sure is related or not. I’ve replaced the radiator cap thinking it was just stuck but the hose collapsed again. Not sure if this is 2 separate issues or related so I would like to focus on the emissions smell but I don’t know what to check next. Ideas?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

I would recommend a few things. First off, engine cooling does affect emissions as the engine will stay in open loop longer on startup if the engine ain’t warming up because the catalytic converters need heat to function properly.

1. Replace the hose that collapsed

2. Pressure test the cooling system to make sure it holds pressure(have someone help you with this if you are unsure

3. Check the thermostat for proper functioning

I would start with the above.

davedave
        Participant

I don’t understand what you mean by engine cooling and an open loop. What I was trying to explain was the smell only happens for the first minute or two after starting the engine after it has been sitting for a while. For example, if the car sits overnight and I start it in the morning then I will smell it for a short while until the car warms up. I will try your recommendations, thank you.

Gary BrownGary
          Participant

Your welcome. Open loop is a term that relates to how your cars computer regulates certain functions. Engine cooling is in regards to the engines cooling system aka the radiator, thermostat, all associated hoses, etc. I speak from a automotive technicians perspective, sorry if I confused you :unsure:

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

The ‘smell’ is normal. The engine will run rich until it warms up. If you don’t have any check engine lights on, then you should be fine.

As for the upper radiator hose you did the right thing by changing the radiator cap. In fact, that should have fixed it. If you used an aftermarket cap, that could be the issue. You might try an OE cap in it’s place.

More info on radiator caps and cooling system issues here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…