Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1997 Honda Accord LX rear suspension noise?

1997 Honda Accord LX rear suspension noise?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1997 Honda Accord LX rear suspension noise?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris LChris L
    Participant

I recently replaced the tires on my 1997 honda accord lx (4 cylinder for those that work at autozone or o’reilly’s) and I don’t think they balanced the tires which normally I wouldnt care too much about on this car except the rear driver side tire is making a wobble wobble wobble noise at high speeds. The noise stays the same at different speeds but it is always above 50mph. My question now is what is broken. The sound sounds like a loose tire and if I push on the top right (toward the rear of the car) the wheel slightly moves and makes the noise sort of. My guess is the unbalanced tire is making the noise louder than it was with the balanced tires. Can anyone guess what it is? I have been looking all over the internet for pictures or diagrams of 1994-97 honda rear suspensions but I can’t really find any good ones.

Thanks,
      Chris

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      none nonenone
      Participant

Make sure the lug nuts are tight before giving any attention to the rest of the suspension. An unbalanced tire will give you a vibration you can feel, but you should’t be able to hear it.

ErinErin
        Participant

So with that wheel off the ground, the wheel moves (well, wobbles) by hand?
          Sounds like the upper control arm’s ball joint may be loose. Of course that whole control arm has to be replaced but it is a fairly easy job.

I am not saying to go out and replace it just assuming it is bad but definitely investigate that part and how to properly inspect it.
          The control arm in question is in the box labeled “7”. YOu see the mounting hardware on one end ( 8 ) and the ball joint on the other.

Attachments:
          Chris LChris L
          Participant

Lug nuts are tight. That was the first thing I checked. With the tire of the ground it does move back in forth by like 1/8th of an inch but if I take the tire off I can’t repeat the sound. The sound is like an upper control arm but I wasn’t sure if the rear suspension had upper control arms. I have done lots of work to the front of this car but this is the first time doing anything to the back end so its all fairly new to me.

IngvarIngvar
            Participant

Check all control arm and connecting rod bushings. Those notorious to go bad at that age.
              Also, hub bearing will be under suspicion.

Chris LChris L
              Participant

On the diagram the part isn’t numbered but I figured it out. On the bar (I don’t know the proper term part #14) there are 2 bushing that go at the back of that arm in the 2 holes. Those bushings are completely gone for the most part.

I found out I can make the noise stop by lightly pulling up on the parking brake. not enough to slow down the car but enough to engage the pads. I am not driving like that I just was playing around with it last night trying to find the noise.

Thank You everyone for the help!

Attachments:
                Chris LChris L
                Participant

I figured it out AND FIXED IT! The part is pretty hard to find while searching for trailing arm bushings but the part number is HAB-101 made by Febest. It only comes with 1 bushing in the order but that was all I needed (for now). I replaced the top one and its seems to have fixed it. I can’t say for sure until I get out on the highway but I believe I got it. here is an amazon listing for the part.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…