Menu

Cold start rough idle

• Creator
    Topic
    JoeJoe
    Participant

Hello.

1st time post.

I am stumped on this one…..99 Toyota Camry, 4cyl., LE + 240,000 mi.

Hard or no start when it turned cold. I replace PVC and PVC grommet. Now just a rough idle.

After I replaced the PVC & grommet, the car starts OK. When its warm outside and the engine is cold, the car starts and runs fine.

HOWEVER…..when starting cold, if it gets the least bit cold outside ……20 degree F or less) the idle goes rough and if I give it gas it stalls. After it warms up at idle, all is OK.

On warm days no problems at all.

This all leads to something related to temp…. right.

I just went out to car and started it (approx 25 degrees outside where car is now) and car started fine but again a rough idle after the cold start.

I then unplugged the IAC and the idle sped up and smoothed out…..plugged it back in and it went back to rough.

Note, one week ago, I replaced the IAC with a brand new after market IAC and replaces the ECT sensor also aftermarket.

What does the car running smoother with the IAC unplugged indicate?? Bad IAC?? Bad ECT sensor (also just replaced with after market …Advances Auto).. Any ideas??

Any suggestions will be really be appreciated.

Here is what I have done so far:

Checked for vacuum leaks after replacing PVC grommet…no leaks at all.

Note I did not get behind engine to check the VSV for the EGR since that is not temp related.
      Also, car idles and runs perfectly when engine has warmed up.

Replace spark plugs, checked wires and coil packs…all OK
      Replaced IAC (aftermarket)
      Replaced ECT sensor (after market)
      Replaced fuel filter
      Checked throttle position sensor…OK
      Checked and re-set to manual all Throttle body settings (idle + throttle opener setting speed) all OK
      Checked fuel pressure…OK
      Checked IAC connector power from computer….OK
      Checked temp readings with scanner…OK
      No trouble codes thrown

Finally, before installing I checked both the new aftermarket ECT sensor and the new aftermarket IAC per the Toyota manual. Both checked perfect.

I watched fuel trim at cold idle and here is what they were:

Short: -1.6 to +2.3
      Long 6.2

My scanner says this about O2 sensors , measured after engine is warm (close loop):

Low volt switch time = 0.400v
      High volt switch time=0.550
      Min sensor volt= 1.275v
      Max sensor volt=0.000

I do not know what the fuel trim and or the O2 sensor numbers mean or indicate.

Note, I ruled out O2 sensor as a cause for rough idle, since the car idles and runs fine when warm and in closed loop

Cannot figure what’s causing the “cold” rough idle. Confused in Ohio! :huh: Any ideas??

Thanks,
      Joe

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        JoeJoe
        Participant

No vacuum leaks. Checked all vacuum hose and vacuum joints with carb cleaner….no leaks anywhere.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

It defiantly sounds mixture related. If you’re sure you don’t have any vacuum leaks, your IAC and ECT are new with no CEL, then perhaps something isn’t adjusted correctly. If the base idle was messed with it could be offsetting the base idle causing the issue. Either way it sounds like it’s not getting the right fuel/air mix when it’s cold. More info here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

ErinErin
            Participant

One other thing –
              when you replaced the plugs and wires, did you go with what is recommended? I know that sounds silly but sometimes people will put “better” plugs/wires in but then have bad results, especially in cold weather.
              I learned that one years ago when I tried using some kind of weird Bosch plugs in a 2.2 chrysler engine. Went back to the “regular” ones and all was fine.

Try also cleaning the old plugs and throwing those back in and see what happens.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…