Menu

99 Accord V6 Persistent EGR Issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 99 Accord V6 Persistent EGR Issue

• Creator
    Topic
    RannRann
    Participant

I have a 99 Honda Accord V6 with just over 200k. I bought the car about a year ago and it had the EGR code at that time. It had the recall procedure done and I knew this was a known problem and didn’t do much about it. The car ran really well.

A few months ago it began to hesitate while accelerating. It was every once in awhile at first and then got worse. I accelerate and te car hesitates, the RPMs drop all the way down, it bogs down, the lights dim, it almost dies but the surges back. It does it so much now the car is undrivable. It doesn’t seem to happen until the car warms up a little bit.

I replaced the EGR Valve, and cleaned the ports. It’s my understanding that I should be able to spray cleaner in the top port at the manifold and have it come down the port at the valve. This wasn’t the case at first but after thorough cleaning it would go through but slowly. It still seems like it’s clogged and it didn’t help at all. Now I’m thinking I need to get to the inside of that passage and clean that but I’m not sure how to get to it and I haven’t been able to find a how to or video.

I’m not sure if that’s what I need to do but I can’t think of anything else. I’ve used these forums and ETCG videos since this started but I”m lost. What do you think? Should I clean that passage or does this seem like something else? If I should clean that passage how exactly do I get to it?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        RannRann
        Participant

Nope. I watched that video but it’s not the sand engine.

ErinErin
          Participant

Around 9:40, he mentions about hooking up the hose on the left side of the intake “while he has wiggle room” Try not to forget that one, it is a pain to hook up if you bolt stuff down first. Ask how I learned THAT one.

This one is the V6. Not sure of the exact size but anyways…
            Mine on my 97 acura (and probably yours) are the 3.0 vtec but the procedure is pretty much the same.

Was the code a p0401? YOu would not believe how crapped up those EGR passages can get. Make sure and clean the ones in the upper intake AND the lower intake. Upper intake is easy. I ran a small hose through best I could through the lower, I was not able to get it to go all the way through so I just prodded it from the top and “bottom” (where the EGR would sit). Sprayed some cleaner, jammed hose through, then blew it out with the exhaust side of a shop-vac. Made mess. rinse and repeat.

Only thing that went wrong was one of the studs stripped the lower intake threads in it’s bore when trying to remove it. Be prepared for that, just in case.

Overall it is not a horrible job, but cleaning the ports in the lower will take some patience. Maybe get a foot of 1/4 inch rubber hose to work the crap loose.
            Be sure to torque everything, it actually matters to properly torque.
            EGR nuts – 16 ft-pounds
            Intake bolts and nuts – 18 ft-pounds.
            That is according to this site –
            http://www.autorepairinstructions.com/?p=106

RannRann
            Participant

I’ve already done that, three times. The ports are so clean you could eat off them. I used a wire brush kind of thing as a drill bit and went at it with throttle body cleaner for over an hour last time. I did that on both parts as far as I could get the brush in the passage. Like I said at first the cleaner wouldn’t go all the way through but after that it was slowly come out the bottom from the top. It did nothing to fix or improve the problem. So I assumed the clog must be in the interior of the EGR passage that I can’t get to without taking it apart.

It is a P0401 code.

Sorry about the misspellings and grammar. I’m on mobile.

college mancollege man

Is the valve electric or vacuum operated? At idle if you actuate the egr
                does the car rpm drop and the car want to stall? If not either the egr is
                not working or the passages are still clogged.

RannRann
                Participant

I believe that it is electric. I’m not sure what you mean by actuating it or how I would do that while it is running? If it is clogged how do I get to the passage?

RannRann
                  Participant

It was basically the same kind you would use to clean a barrel. I did use sea foam a few different times but only about a 1/4 of the bottle each time. I wasn’t sure if the seafoam was getting to where I needed it to be.

ErinErin
                    Participant

The EGR valve on this one is electric. This thing…

By “actuate”, that is a fancy word activate, cause it to work, or turn on.

On a vacuum controlled one, you would just create a vacuum on the hose connection and if the thing works, the engine stalls.
                      On an electrical one (which you have), you would have to find out which pins take voltage and connect power to it and if the engine stalls out, the EGR is good. Not sure which pins on our EGR are for voltage though.

Hopefully Eric will chime in here but it might be possible to take the EGR apart to clean inside it. Here is one video. I do wonder just how well that would even work though, considering how clogged even the ports in the manifolds get. If yours has the screws, maybe remove those and see if you can disassemble it to clean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvS6In_Yav8

Attachments:
                      RannRann
                      Participant

The EGR itself is less than two months old. It was the first thing that I replaced when this became a problem. It could be a bad but I think that is unlikely. I could return it for another one of I needed to do that.

RannRann
                        Participant

If I could find a video like this for my car and engine that would be perfect.

RannRann
                          Participant

Here is a video of basically what the car is doing.

college mancollege man

[quote=”Rann” post=121993]I believe that it is electric. I’m not sure what you mean by actuating it or how I would do that while it is running? If it is clogged how do I get to the passage?[/quote]

What I meant by actuate was to put power to the valve to make it open (Actuate)
                              to see if the car stalls or bogs down.

IngvarIngvar
                              Participant

[quote=”Rann” post=122009]Here is a video of basically what the car is doing.

http://youtu.be/ca3Y3Ef8xIs%5B/quote%5D

Never heard of EGR do some like this. Looks like you have idle issue or ECM issue or one of the sensors, telling ECM what to do.

RannRann
                                Participant

It doesn’t do this when idling. It idles okay, this when I hold the gas down. I’ve definitely thought maybe the problem has nothing to do with EGR at all but there aren’t any other codes.

IngvarIngvar
                                  Participant

Well, why you didn’t say so? Looking at vid, it appears RPMs go up down by themselves, right?
                                    So now that we know that YOU actually rev the engine and it cuts off, yes, EGR sure can do this. Or, simple air leak somewhere, causing very lean condition as RMP go up=suction into CCs goes up=more air sucked in=lean condition.
                                    Just tossing ideas at you.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…