Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1990 buick regal transmission problem

1990 buick regal transmission problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1990 buick regal transmission problem

• Creator
    Topic
    MIKEMIKE
    Participant

i have a 1990 buick regal with A/T and a 3800 V 6. the car has approx. 52,000 original miles. when traveling between 35 – 55 mph or when under load such as uphill, the car “chuggles” or shakes. When i lightly press on the brake pedal just enough to engage the brake lights, the chuggle goes away. I disconnected the TCC solenoid and have not had a problem since. will i damage the car if i continue to drive with the solenoid disconnected and does this “solution” prove that the solenoid needs to be replaced.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
      Participant

The converter will slip constantly. Yes, that will overheat the fluid. Pull the pan off and replace the lockup solenoid asp.

Rich SoutherlandRich Southerland
        Participant

No, it’s not going to wreck anything. It’s just going to function as a car with a non lockup converter which means you may lose a little fuel economy. I owned a Chevy Celebrity wagon years ago with the same transmission and I put over 40K on it that way.

Your test and temporary solution doesn’t prove the solenoid is the problem, it proves theres a problem in the clutch circuit. You could replace the solenoid and see no change if the problem lies within the torque converter itself. That said, the solenoid isn’t expensive (you do have to pull off the side cover to replace it) so it’s probably worth a shot.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…