Menu

Steam from Radiator Cap

• Creator
    Topic
    DEVEN PRASADDEVEN PRASAD
    Participant

Hey Everyone!

I replaced the coolant on my 2003 Honda Civic. When the engine gets to temperature, white steam is coming from the Radiator Cap.

I ran the engine with no cap to bleed the system, and it is not bubbling so there is no air in the system. Overflow tank seems to be doing its job.

I don’t work with cooling systems, is the white steam normal?

CarFax says that the Radiator Cap was replaced 5000km ago, they used a Original Honda/Denso Cap.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If your getting steam from the cap you either still have air or the cap may be bad.
        I’m thinking air in the system. Due you have good heat? What about the thermostat?
        ever changed? did it steam before the coolant change?

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
        Participant

If you had any spillage during filling, once the radiator is up to temperature, what you spilled will evaporate. As for steam coming from the radiator cap itself, not normal air or not. Either the cap gasket is shot or the radiator neck is worn or nicked and the cap can’t seal. Normally anything leaving the radiator, whether air or coolant, is piped to the reservoir.

DEVEN PRASADDEVEN PRASAD
          Participant

Just purged it was bubble galore in there took a good 1/2hr to flush it “properly”, advice for others a spill-free rad funnel helps a lot.

Never noticed the steam before the flush.

Still have steam so I am going to replace the cap, I will try and get oem, if not will get a good quality aftermarket.

Will report back with an outcome soon.

As always thanks for your help guys, it’s greatly appreciated.

A toyotakarlIts me

Sounds like you do need a new cap… Just ensure you get one that is rated properly for the system… Either in Bars or PSI…. If you get OEM it won’t be an issue…

Good luck…

-Karl

DEVEN PRASADDEVEN PRASAD
              Participant

Today I replaced the cap, my parts supplier had a Stant Cap 16LB which is correct for this car.

No more steam from the cap. Just some that i spilled on the rad is still evaporating.

Thanks for the help!!!

college mancollege man

Glad it worked out. Thanks for the update. 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…