Menu

Coffee percolator sound

• Creator
    Topic
    vi27678vi27678
    Participant

Hi guys,

Have an 2006 3.5L Dodge Charger with 75k in Buffalo, NY. Just recently noticed this gurgling that sounds like a coffee pot percolating. I can hear it at highway speeds and at low speeds. But it was really bad this morning when I had the car parked and idling. The sound is there regardless of whether I have the heater going or not and the temperature gauge is fine and not overheating. I popped the hood while it was idling but it didnt sound any louder from inside the engine bay- actually could hear the percolating sound better from inside the car. No CEL or codes. Any ideas what this might be? The sound goes away immediately after i turn the car off.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Donnie RothDonnie
      Participant

That’s a unique descriptor that is a very distinct sound! Kudos!

You wouldn’t happen to have been playing a soundtrack of coffee brewing, were you? (Kidding!)

That sound I would have to think would come from liquid moving, and since it is loudest from the passenger compartment, I would think of checking the Heater Core. Is the Passenger side floor have any drips or a sweet smell to the interior of the car, or does the windshield fog up when the defroster is on, and leave a sort of slimy residue? There could be a hole in the heater core, as well as an air pocket at the area the hole is at.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
        Participant

It could be the radiator coolant level is low.

vi27678vi27678
          Participant

No sweet smell, slime, or drips. Also, I checked the coolant reservoir that has the min and the max lines and it was right in the middle of both this morning. Now if there was air in the system or a leak wouldn’t my car be overheating? And wouldn’t the noise persist for a little bit even after I turn the car off? From just looking on google when people have air in their coolant it seems like their cars overheat and the noise stays for a little bit even after they turn the car off. My temp gauge is right in the middle where it normally is and the sound stops as soon as I turn the key to off.

Robert Eric VilesRobert Eric Viles
            Participant

I’ve had a friend who has this exact same issue on his ’02? charger, and on my ’97 plymouth breeze over here in Oregon.

It deals with your coolant in one way shape or form. EIther over heating (due to many reason including air), thermostat going out or came loose (Can give reading, but doesn’t do its job), Cap loose.

Most common issue is air in the line/heater core.

Check you hoses, level of fluid, look for any kind of holes or cracks.

Does the sound begin IMMEDIATELY after starting it? Or within a few mins / miles?

I know you said it sounded bad this morning while Idling but did the sound start IMMEDIATELY after starting engine?

I would Check everything first for cracks, holes, looseness, missing. All hoses, connections, thermostat, caps, reservoir parts included. (Personally i would check it during both hot and cold temp) If nothing, I would try to run some dye in the coolant. Run the engine and inspect all said parts again. I would then bleed the system. to remove any air. (DO this step no matter what you do)

If for some reason these didn’t work, my next step If still nothing. I would flush the system, replace with new undyed coolant.

And repeat all steps above except DYE/Reflush.

For both my friend and I, we had a few cracks (looked external only/ didn’t pierce hose) we flushed and bled and double checked the thermo. Both of ours stopped making coffee.. Oh and ours started after getting warmer.

Hope this helps!

Donnie RothDonnie
              Participant

An Air bubble in the the Heater Core wouldn’t cause overheating, unless it worked its way through to somewhere in the engine and stuck around.

I’m not sure what else to suggest, as I am not a mechanic!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Sounds like air in the cooling system. If that’s the case, then I’d be looking for a possible leak next. I’ve got lots of information on these issues here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

KirkKirk
                  Participant

I somehow introduced an air bubble *not sure where in the system* when doing a flush. It gave the exact same symptoms (it was a 96 ford taurus)

My temp gauge was fine too, until the head gaskets blew going up a hill, then the temp gauge went up. But not before the head gasket blew. The gauge was fine because it wasnt moving coolant over the sensor, so itd heat up, go to about mid range on the gauge like it normally does and just sit in the middle until it cooled down. I think the gauge went up when I blew a gasket because fluid was going everywhere.

Erics post, checking coolant system would be your best bet.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…