Menu

Cracks on compliance bushings…

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Cracks on compliance bushings…

• Creator
    Topic
    JJ
    Participant

So when I replaced my front shocks I noticed the compliance bushings are cracked on both left and right sides. The cracks don’t appear to be through all the way, I don’t feel any play when I grab the steering knuckle or wheel and I don’t notice clunks or anything unusual while driving.

I’ve read on the internets that this may be normal with age but I feel like it’s wear (simply because new ones won’t have these). If these are cracked are they on their way out? Should I just wait until it gets worse? When I do have to change I’ll probably just go with $100.00 OEM lower control arms and not bother with pressing them out.

I suspect they’re just superficial. When the knuckle is hanging (suspension isn’t loaded) it puts the bushings in an unnatural state. When the suspension is loaded at ride height they would be in a more comfortable position (since the bolts were torqued when the suspension was loaded) so I suspect these are just cracks and it performs fine at ride height.

Here’s a picture of the cracks:

Attachments:
    Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

[quote=”KnowNothing” post=138196]So when I replaced my front shocks I noticed the compliance bushings are cracked on both left and right sides. The cracks don’t appear to be through all the way, I don’t feel any play when I grab the steering knuckle or wheel and I don’t notice clunks or anything unusual while driving.

I’ve read on the internets that this may be normal with age but I feel like it’s wear (simply because new ones won’t have these). If these are cracked are they on their way out? Should I just wait until it gets worse? When I do have to change I’ll probably just go with $100.00 OEM lower control arms and not bother with pressing them out.

I suspect they’re just superficial. When the knuckle is hanging (suspension isn’t loaded) it puts the bushings in an unnatural state. When the suspension is loaded at ride height they would be in a more comfortable position (since the bolts were torqued when the suspension was loaded) so I suspect these are just cracks and it performs fine at ride height.[/quote]

Well, suspension components are always “on their way out”. They are in a constant state of wearing out. Do you have to replace these? Probably not yet. But I’d bet you’ll notice an improvement in your ride quality if you do. At this point, it’s a personal matter of budget and priority, not necessity.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…