Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 1990’s “Viper” Car Alarm Removal

1990’s “Viper” Car Alarm Removal

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1990’s “Viper” Car Alarm Removal

• Creator
    Topic
    KeithKeith
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

I’m hoping someone has some experience working with car alarm systems. I have a 1993 Prelude that I just acquired and learned that it has the Viper Remote Entrance and Car Alarm system.

It appears pretty outdated… the FOB looks really old.

I noticed the car had what appeared to be a parasitic drain, so I went to test for a draw when the car was off. Unfortunately that meant removing the battery cable, and when I tested it by putting the multimeter in series … the alarm started blasting at me!

I decided to take a look under the steering wheel at the wires that are present and found the following.

Does this look familiar to anyone? I took a picture of the fuse box. It appears as though there are these brown wires that are spliced into the fuses. There was a 15 AMP fuse that I removed (which, is blank in the diagram), and the other brown wire goes to the “P/W Driver” fuse. I’m assuming this is so it can detect intrusion?

Either way, the brown wire also had a crappy splice job into another wire that had a 10 AMP fuse sitting in it?? This was poorly held together as it fell apart when I looked at it.

I hear that there are often “valet modes” built into these systems. I found there is a switch of some sort (pictured below) that requires a key … which of course I don’t have. I was thinking maybe there is a way I can replace this key with a standard switch, and I can get it to bypass the security system altogether.

Am I on the right track here? Any advice in general?

Thanks for your help!

-Keith

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
      Participant

You should be able to just remove the power to the alarm unit to disable it. Look around for a starter kill relay and eliminate that as they are prone to problems. You should not have to worry about that key switch.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

With out knowing the exact model of viper system you have it may be a bit tricky.
          Here are a few different models:
          See if anything matches what you have installed.

KeithKeith
          Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=161898]With out knowing the exact model of viper system you have it may be a bit tricky.
            Here are a few different models:
            See if anything matches what you have installed.
            [/quote]

Holy crap thanks!

I was thinking I could remove the switch, and connect or sever the two wires going to it. This should by-pass the system, right? Make the system “always on” valet mode?

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
            Participant

It will still be hooked up to power. It’s easy to disconnect the power and then it’s always in valet mode. Look for inline fuses going to the box and pull them.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
              Participant

Never owned or tinkered with a viper system.
                I have no idea how it is wired into your vehicle.
                If your looking to remove it, suggest you completely remove it.
                Partially disabling it, may or may not work depending on how it is done and how it was wired into your car.
                Sorry that is the best advise I can offer.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…