• Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #185762 by Josh1985
-Buick/Lesabre Custom
-1997 Buick Lesabre Custom Sedan
-3.8L (231) 3800 SFI V6 Series II 4-Speed Transmission//2WD

I had a question out of curiosity. What is the REAL difference between a Lesabre Custom, Limited, etc in terms of the Headlamp Assembly Electrical Configuration? What I mean is when I go to purchase a set of new Headlamps for this car which is still running its original headlamp assemblies from 1997, which as you can guess the quality of the poly-carbonate headlamp lenses are starting show their age. I am presented with headlamp assemblies for those WITH cornering lamps as well as WITHOUT. My curious question is this: how labor and cost intensive would it be to add cornering lamps to my vehicle so I can get the MUCH cheaper WITH cornering lamp headlamp assembly option?

Thank you in advance :)
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Josh1985.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #185770 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic 1997 Buick Lesabre Custom Headlamp Configuration
If the light bulb sockets are included...
And the assembly is a direct bolt in ...
I should imagine that all you need do is add a pair of standard relays to the cornering lights and run 2 control lines ( right and left ) from the blinker switch circuit power.
That way, when the blinker is used and the circuit is hot, that will become the control side for the cornering light relays.
Then just add 12V light feed.
Here is a somewhat simplified sketch ...

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by nightflyr.

• Josh1985
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
1 week 2 days ago #202167 by Josh1985
I have a follow up on this question. I realize this question is somewhat old but as it still directly relates to this same question, I though it would be more appropriate to follow up here versus posting a duplicate question. If i need to post anew please let me know.

So, my follow up is this: thank you all for your help so far and for the general wiring diagram! Just one thing I am confused about, could you please put this in some procedural context? What I mean is, where would these relays, and wires be added? It recently occurred to me that I know Buick/GM released this same model/year WITH the feature as a standard option on the 1997 Buick Lesabre Limited.

So, if GM/Buick released this car with and without Cornering Lamps as an option, it shouldn't be too overly complicated to add this one feature should it? Also, if that feature existed on a similar model, wouldn't it stand to reason GM would wire up the Cornering Lamps but just not connect them or add the sockets to streamline both editions? Thank you all again! As always any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

• nightflyr
  • 6th Gear
  • 6th Gear
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4X4
More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #202168 by nightflyr
Replied by nightflyr on topic 1997 Buick Lesabre Custom Headlamp Configuration
You would need to remove the head light assembly to see if the harness for the cornering light is present.
Can't say for certain on your vehicle, but in many cases optional equipment such as your cornering lamps are wired into the harness and terminated with a plug and require a mating pigtail with the light socket to complete the wiring.

As to the wiring..
The diagram above would only allow you to have the cornering lights operate as side blinkers if your headlight harness isn't wired for cornering lamps.
To get them to function as actual cornering lamps if not pre-wired by the factory would require the relays to be wired into the turn signal switch but before the flasher.
A wiring diagram would be needed to make the job easier.

But here is a basic layout..
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by nightflyr.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds