Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Oxygen sensor downstream wiring I have

Oxygen sensor downstream wiring I have

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Oxygen sensor downstream wiring I have

• Creator
    Topic
    Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
    Participant

I have a question about a downstream O2 sensor. The person before me extended the wires on the oxygen sensor. I think they wired it wrong. I am getting a P0141 Code for oxygen sensor heater. The problem I see is that the color of the wires do not match. I have a black wire , grey wire, and 2 white wires. The way it is wired it shows on ohm meter it should be working but it is not. Is there a way to figure out which wires go where. They have them put together matching the colors. How would I be able to tell which wire is on the O2 is not correct. Believe that the signal,wire is correct because Ecu kicked light on. Ohm meter showing 4.3 ohms when I test the 2 white wires. Didn’t want to replace the O2 if not bad just wired wrong. Any ideas? Honda Civic dx 96 d16y7

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

See if this helps:

Attachments:
        Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
        Participant

Ok followed what you showed me but still a little lost. Is it possible that one of thewhitewires is crossed for the heater? Here is how it is main harness black w yellow tracer to white heater wire, main harness blackw whites racer to heater wire, main harness red w yellow tracer to grey , main harness white w red tracer to black. When I test heater circuit with ohm meter is now showed 5.2 ohms. I have 12 volt at main harness black and yellow wire ( hot), 12 volts at red and yellow ( ground), is there a way to tell if heater wires are backwards or should I assume they are backwards. Originally they had the 2 sensors plugged in wrong. They had the upstream plugged into the doenstream O2, downstream plugged into upstream. No heater Cricut problem then. Heater circuit problem occurred when I switched them to where they should be. Thanks for your help to this point.

Participant

In general on the O2 sensor itself the 2 same color wires are for the heater the others are signal and ground.

See if this is of any help.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsS6AELPuM

Attachments:
            Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
            Participant

Can you explain this wiring to me. The white wire with red tracer is for the ground to secondary o2 sensor. That wire is dead but if I touch the loose wire showing outside of sheathing it is grounded. The loose wire goes to the brown wire with black tracer which is grounded at the block by thermostat housing. Is this actually a wire?

Attachments:
              Participant

You will need a wiring diagram for your specific vehicle.
                If you have a 4 wire O2 sensor and a 4 wire hook up from the engine harness, the lay out is as shown previously.
                What your showing in your picture is a shielded cable.
                The outer jacket ( bare wire ) is ground, the center (wire white with red tracer) is either a signal or power.
                I can not say for certain, which is why you need a diagram to confirm what wiring was originally used for the O2 sensor.

Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                Participant

I want to say Thank You for your help. Took a while to figure it out. Traced everything. I currently have it torn apart. Bought new O2 sensor.should fix it. Used ohm meter to find that it’s part of the O2 positive. Had 5 volts and checked ground. Seems ok. Has ground. Did test you sent me and I believe it’s bad heater. Thanks for your help.

Participant

No worries, keep us posted.

Attachments:
                    Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                    Participant

Ok. Installed new O2. Cleared codes. Drove car in town and highway for 70 miles over a course of 3 days. Car is still in drive cycle. I tried driving at 60 mph for 5 minutes sat for 5 minutes and did the same on the way back. Still in drive cycle. Question I have is the speedo is off by 10 mph. Do I do the drive cycle according to speedo or my gps. Or does Honda have a particular drive cycle. I have not found many threads for Honda drive cycles. I have just under half tank of gas. Heard that you need to have a certain amount of gas or drive cycle won’t work. Thanks in advance.

Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                      Participant

Ok new O2 didn’t solve issue. Put new cat on. Would you happen to know the drive cycle that needs to be done? Beginning to think bad Ecu. Want to try drive cycle first but don’t know what it is and the dealer will not tell me. They say bring it in and they will check it out. Not wanting to pay 110.00 per hour for them to attempt to fix it. Thanks.

JoshJosh
                        Participant

Wiring diagram. There is a website that you should be able to get copies of the wiring diagrams from frequent posters:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/

Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                          Participant

Need help understanding fuel trim. Put new cat on and car still stuck in readiness. Fuel trim numbers are in the negatives. Is this normal? O2 output for upstream in around .9 downstream at idle is .25. fuel trim runs around -10 / -14. Cars runs good no missing. Does this mean burning rich?

Participant

This is a 4 cylinder?
                              If so, I assume -10 is your STFT and -14 is your LTFT.
                              In which case you may be looking at a rich condition.
                              Have you attempted to reset the ECM?
                              Remove the Negative battery terminal and let the vehicle sit over night.
                              Reconnect it and take it for a long drive so the computer can relearn.

MikeMike
                              Participant
                                Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                                Participant

[table]

[/table]
                                  The numbers given are all short term. Fluctuates between -10 & -14. The long term is 0. Rechecked when I got home from work and short term fluctuates between 0 and – 5.5. Checked all spark plugs assuming stuck injector but no excess fuel there. Checked for intake leak using carb and throttle body cleaner no leak found. Checked air filter it’s good. Seems to run good and no power loss. Could the Pcm or Ecu still be learning because of new cat? Or should I be looking elsewhere. Not much time left.have about 11 days left on my temp registration. Not sure what else to check. Thanks

Ted WiluszTed Wilusz
                                  Participant

You are correct it is a 1.6 96 Honda Civic dx hatchback 5 speed.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…