Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Slight squeal on startup with new P/S and alternator belts

Slight squeal on startup with new P/S and alternator belts

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Slight squeal on startup with new P/S and alternator belts

• Creator
    Topic
    JoeJoe
    Participant

I recently replaced the power steering and AC/alternator belts on my 4-cylinder 6th gen Accord. At first the belts were way too loose and they would squeal continuously. So I tightened both belts so that it takes some effort to rotate the belts (along their axis) 90 degrees (saw that online as a rule of thumb). After tightening, both belts were quiet during startup and operation.

After a week or so, I started getting a brief squeal on startup that goes away in a couple of seconds. I’m guessing it’s the power steering belt since the AC/alternator belt does NOT squeal when I turn on the AC (early on when I installed this belt when it was still too loose, turning on the AC would induce a brief squeal). The squeal occurs only on a cold start.

I tightened the P/S belt a bit more, and now the squealing is reduced in intensity and shorter in duration, but it’s still there. Does this sound like I need to tighten the power steering belt a bit more? Maybe it stretched out a little bit? The P/S belt is definitely looser than the alternator/AC belt, but there’s also a longer run of belt between the P/S pulley and the harmonic balancer than there is with the alternator/AC belt. As before, squeal only occurs on cold start.

Am I correct in thinking it’s the P/S belt? Also, any tips on how to get the P/S belt tighter? I was pushing pretty hard on the 1/2″ breaker bar I had connected to the square drive on the P/S assembly while tightening the two fasteners securing the P/S assembly. It was a short breaker bar, so maybe a longer bar would help lever the belt a bit tighter when tightening the two bolts.

The old belts did not squeal at all, so I’m guessing the power steering pump, alternator and AC compressor are all likely fine. Also, I checked the P/S pulley by hand and it seems to spin OK and does not wobble.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…