Menu

2003 Acura TL Type S noises

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Acura TL Type S noises

• Creator
    Topic
    Kristy ChampionKristy Champion
    Participant

Mystery noises. Don’t you love ‘em? Watched all ETCG noise videos and read all info, but haven’t found answers. Maybe because it’s not making a single noise, but at least 3 different noises. Visited dealership and 2 private mechanics. None were able to make clear diagnosis or fix anything. Dealership actually said they couldn’t hear the noise. They could only hear my sunglasses rattling on the console. Are you kidding me? I spent nearly the whole day there and kept pushing but still left with nothing resolved. All have told me to wait and keep an eye on it because when it gets worse it will be more obvious and easier to diagnose. I’m original owner. 15 yrs old, but not yet reached 100K miles. At first it was a rapid, subtle pop, pop, pop (not loud) then became more of a thump, thump, thump, 3 times? 5 times? Not sure, but it was always multiple times. Always during a turn and shortly after coming out of the turn. Then turned into a creaky hinge sound, and now my steering wheel squeaks loudly when I turn the wheel left and right. If I roll down my window as I’m driving I can hear squeaking/rubbing noise (especially easy to hear if near a curb so the sound bounces off.) All noises seem to be coming from the front end. But who knows? I’ve been wrong before pinning down source and direction. Noises started after new brakes installed. Took it back there and they assured me rubbing noise was normal and should go away. That was more than a year ago and that business has now closed down. Hmm. Bad mojo. Asked dealership to check brakes, and they said everything OK. Did lots of research, but can’t fix my own car. Tie rod ends? Struts? Brakes? Power Steering Fluid? (no puddles on the garage floor.) Power steering pump? Paranoid that neighbors are wondering why I’m still driving this old squeaky, moaning car. Do they hear me coming down the street before I reach my garage? Up to this point very well maintained, but beginning to feel unsafe even though dealership assured me it was safe and in very good condition. They seemed competent, so I should trust that, right? LOL! First time I’ve ever felt this way. I still love my car after all these years. I’d really like to get another 100K out of it if possible! Very frustrated and looking for answers. And a good mechanic.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      KyleKyle
      Participant

Can you tell if its side dependent like only on driver or passenger side? To do a quick 1 over on the struts cant hurt either way just crank those mounting bolts down because the strut mounts on those sometimes like to be funny and make noises. Power steering should be alright. If the pump is bad youd have that annoying constant squeal.

Kristy ChampionKristy Champion
        Participant

I cannot tell if side dependent since I’m always on the one side. 🙂 But it does groan and creak and squeal no matter which direction I’m turning. Sometimes I’m convinced it’s coming from the center of the car….like in front of console area. Whenever I had someone in the passenger seat while trying to “share” the noise with them it was always harder or impossible to hear so it seemed “weight dependent.” That was weird. And of course that made them think I was hearing things that weren’t there. Dealership claimed they checked all mounts and nothing seemed loose. Years ago I had an Isuzu mystery noise that turned out to be loose hood hinge. Some smart mechanic finally figured that one out for me. The problem wasn’t something under the hood, it WAS the hood! LOL! So I’ve grown suspicious of everything… loose seat? loose door? loose hinge? Loose anything? Car has never been wrecked. But I do live in WV with the nation’s WORST potholes so it could be almost anything LOOSE. Maddening! Thanks for your reply. You may be right, but I’ve run out of local mechanics to ask.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…