Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2001 Accord – floods when started TWICE while cold

2001 Accord – floods when started TWICE while cold

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2001 Accord – floods when started TWICE while cold

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by JeanJean.
  • Creator
    Topic
    JeanJean
    Participant

Hello all,

JF from Montreal Canada here.

I drive a 2001 accord with the marvelous 2.3l 4 banger. 252k kms on her. Great car.

I however have a slight starting problem with this car.

Whenever it is cold outside, the car will always start, it never fails to start which is nice. HOWEVER!, if I stop the engine while it is still cold and I try to restart it immediately, the car will not restart or it will take forever to restart and only if I hold the gas pedal while starting. Albeit after many long seconds it stumbles and ends up starting. It seems to me like it acts like the motor is getting flooded, kind of like in the old carburator days.

This only happens when the car is cold. Whenever the car is warm the stop and restart causes no problem at all.

I replaced the spark plugs (NGK) and it hasn’t changed anything. The car does run a little bit better.

I was thinking maybe the primary O2 sensor could be a cause? It is still the original. And I also heard Eric quickly mention in a video that a sensor on the thermostat could cause starting issues with Hondas.

The only code I have is for the rear O2 sensor because my car has no cat anymore and runs a test pipe.

What do you guyz think?

JF

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

I’d start by seeing if you have a minor, full-time fuel mixture issue which only becomes a major issue in this one set of open-loop conditions. To see if anything funky is going on with your fuel trims, use a scanner with live data to see your LTFT and STFT at idle, 2500, and 4000 RPM. Meaningful numbers will only display for those once the engine has heated up enough to enter closed-loop operation, but if they are significantly out of normal ranges, that will provide some insights.

JeanJean
        Participant

Your suggestion to check the fuel trims make total sense but I dont have access to proper diagnostic tools just a very basic code reader.

What I do have is a low mileage spare engine laying around in the garage for the same car.

I swapped the primary o2 sensor and it did not change anything. Still floods on double start when cold.

Now I swapped the ECT sensor, cleaned the throttle body, removed the MAP sensor cleaned it and replaced the oring seal. finally I cleaned and checked the PCV valve.

Now waiting on car to cool down so I can check if the cold double start issue is still happening.

If it still does it the look for vaccum leak.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…