• dtbetancourt
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #202822 by dtbetancourt
02 Hyun Sante Fe Cam Chain Guide was created by dtbetancourt
Hey all!
So here is the quick and dirty. I have an 02 Santa Fe, v6 2.7 L (FWD only) and one day when turning over my engine, i hear some catastrophic cacophony from the engine. Low idle, weird noise, almost stalls. Quickly shut her off and get to investigating. Start with the valve cover because its time for a new gasket anyway.

On the back (right bank) bank I find a rectangular piece of dried out rubber lodged by the cam chain. Some investigation reveals this is the rubber that sits on the lower cam chain guide.
I guess that explains the racket, but I realize to get at the lower cam chain guide, Ill have to remove the cam shafts and I just recently did my timing belt and not looking to recommit to that again.

I check the front bank and find the upper cam chain guide no longer has any rubber on it at all.

My question is this: Do i need to replace the guides? Is that 2mm of rubber on the chain guides essential to a smooth running engine?

Thanks for all your input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
  • The Crafty Tech
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
  • "The Crafty Tech" On YouTube.
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #202837 by The Crafty Tech
Replied by The Crafty Tech on topic 02 Hyun Sante Fe Cam Chain Guide
I wouldn't feel good about that lol. Maybe you can get away with only removing 1 camshaft instead of the whole belt?

Automotive and Electric bikes. www.youtube.com/user/crazybiker420
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by The Crafty Tech.

• dtbetancourt
  • Topic Author
  • 1st Gear
  • 1st Gear
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #202841 by dtbetancourt
Replied by dtbetancourt on topic 02 Hyun Sante Fe Cam Chain Guide
Ive never done this before, that sounds like a good idea though! So I could, in theory, remove the camshaft not under tension from the timing belt? That would definitely give me the clearance I would need...

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds