Menu

2010 Acura TSX Brake Pad thickness

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2010 Acura TSX Brake Pad thickness

• Creator
    Topic
    GlenGlen
    Participant

I recently changed the front Brake pads and rotors on my 2010
      Acura TSX. I purchased Autozone rotors (with the black coating) , and Autozone Duralast Gold Ceramic front pads. New autozone front pads measured 7mm, and New pads from the Acura dealer measure 11mm.. Why is there a difference? Would I get more life out of my brakes going with the thicker pads from Acura?

Also, I ran Into a similar issue with the rear pads. I measured the existing pad which is 5mm. I looked at Autozone Duralast Gold rear pads and they measure at 5mm.
      Acura rear pads measure at 8mm.

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

With the thicker pads you will get a longer life then pads that are already less material. As long as driving/breaking habits are good.

GlenGlen
        Participant

I only have about 100 miles on the Duralast Gold pads, and Duralast Gold rotors(with the black coating). I am going to swap the pads with Akebono ACT. Would it be necessary to turn the rotors? Thanks

college mancollege man

your good with a pad swap

GlenGlen
            Participant

I am also doing rear pads on this car.
              I think the original rear rotors are on the car. (90k miles) I was thinking of just replacing pads and not doing anything to the rotors. Will this greatly reduce pad life?

PaulPaul
              Participant

[quote=”T16″ post=202971]I think the original rear rotors are on the car. (90k miles) I was thinking of just replacing pads and not doing anything to the rotors. Will this greatly reduce pad life?[/quote]

It depends on the condition of the rotors:

• If the rotor is near the minimum thickness, then the rotor will not be able to dissipate heat properly.
                • If the rotor has discolored from overheating, then the rotor will not be able to dissipate heat properly.
                • If the rotors have scoring, rust build near the edges, excessive run-out, then the pad life will be reduced or yield a vibration.

My 0.02: You have approximately half of the pad life for the rear. If you don’t have issues, like binding from corrosion, then replacing the pads and rotors is not necessary. Clean and re-lubricate the components, and let the proverbial “sleeping dog lie”. Alternatively, I would replace the rotors along with the rear pads. Also, remove the corrosion from the hub before installing the new rotor if you live in area that uses a lot of salt in winter.

My only complaint with ProACT pads is reduced braking performance while the friction material transfers to a new rotor. It only lasts a week after installation, but it can make you doubt the pad quality, whether errors were made during installation, etc.

GlenGlen
                Participant

Do you think the Akebono ACT pads are a good choice? I have never used them before. Would going with the Acura pads be better? This vehicle is just a daily driver. Thanks for your input.

PaulPaul
                  Participant

Yes, the Akebono ProACT is a good pad. They’re similar to OEM with less dusting. The OEM has a deeper initial bite while the ProACT has a more linear response. Both are a good choice for a daily driver.

college mancollege man

[quote=”T16″ post=202971]I am also doing rear pads on this car.
                      I think the original rear rotors are on the car. (90k miles) I was thinking of just replacing pads and not doing anything to the rotors. Will this greatly reduce pad life?[/quote]

For me I would replace the rear rotors. For the price of a premium rear rotor with the black E coating on them. It might be 40.00 bucks a piece.
                      Just to have fresh rotors that are not rusted. keep us posted on your progress.

GlenGlen
                      Participant

I want ahead and replaced the rear rotors with the new pads. Thanks for your help!

college mancollege man

good deal

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…