Menu

Problems after engine swap

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Problems after engine swap

• Creator
    Topic
    Marcus OsborneMarcus Osborne
    Participant

I searched and can’t find anything on this. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I have a 2006 Grand Prix with the California smog pump. The engine died. My mechanic replaced with with a salvage engine from LKQ. He said it is out of a buick. The engine does not have the smog pump, idk if this would cause any issues besides a check engine light.

I picked up the car today and everything runs perfect. Normal driving there is no issues, except for one. When I floor it in first gear, and it is nearing redline to shift into second, it gets to about 5500 rpm and then just shuts the engine off. I restart the engine and everything is normal. No check engine light.

I took it to the mechanic and he rode in the car with me while his scan tool was hooked up and I duplicated the issue and now codes were thrown. He is looking into what it could be.

Has anyone here experienced this before? It seems like the computer isn’t happy about something and just shuts off the engine. Do Buicks have a lower redline? Could that be throwing the computer off? Where would we start looking if it isn’t throwing any codes?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

No rev limiter I know of will shut down an engine.
        Your first course of action should be to find out what is being turned off to cause the engine to shut down.
        Are you loosing spark , fuel, cam/crank signal?

One item to make note of:
        When the engine shuts down, do you have dash indicators IE. battery, brake, ABS etc or is the dash completely dark.

Participant

No lights come on. My mechanic had his Snap-on scan tool hooked up to the car sitting in the passenger seat. No codes were thrown and no lights showed up on the dash. That is what has me stumped.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Past experience suggests you pull the ignition switch and check for burnt contacts.
            Had a Monte Carlo that would shut down while driving with no dash board lights when it occurred and no codes
            It acted as if you shut off the car off and pulled the keys out.
            If yours is doing the same, the ECU doesn’t see this as a issue so it doesn’t show any codes.

Participant

It does have the recall for the ignition switch that still needs done. Would that make it happen at a certain RPM though? All day even if I drove aggressive as long as I got out of it by 5500 RPM then it would be fine. It has never done this before the engine swap. I will tell him to check that though if he hasn’t already.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…