Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Car honking in the middle of the night.

Car honking in the middle of the night.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Car honking in the middle of the night.

• Creator
    Topic
    Gerald HixGerald Hix
    Participant

Started last night at 4:15 in the morning. Woke up to my car honking. Didn’t see anyone around so used the key fob to turn off the honking. Perimeter lights would not go out and VCS or VBS or something like that was showing. This is a 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring Edition with no codes showing and a battery sticker of 6/19. I ended up disconnecting the battery so it wouldn’t drain the battery. I took it to the Honda dealership to see what they had to say. They said it would be a deep electrical diagnostic to determine. Since it runs and drives I needed to be somewhere else first. Running the voltage output is around 14 volts and runs good. After a long drive and shutting down the engine the battery voltage will be around 12 volts. The perimeter lights will come back on. Turning the key on without starting it will have the green drive light flashing green, the ABS will indicate trouble, the transmission will indicate trouble, the VBS will indicate service needed, and there may be other needs. Turn the key off and on again and none of that appears. Very strange. However the perimeter lights continue to stay on and won’t go out. I have to disconnect the battery just to get those lights off. The key fob works sometimes and will not lock the car other times. I’m fairly knowledgeable working on cars but I’m needing help understanding what’s going on with this problem. Any ideas?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gerald HixGerald Hix
      Participant

I figured it out. Trying to make sense of why this would happen and nothing helped until I thought about it some more. Corrosion at the battery terminal would not allow the car to charge. As the battery charge got lower and lower, it would start but as the battery voltage dropped little by little due to the corrosion it was getting insufficient voltage to the components that required a proper amount. Starting the car allowed to components to work correctly an everything was normal. It was while the car wasn’t running that problems arose. Driving long distances allowed the battery to charge enough to stop the perimeter lights to go off. But soon it would come back. Cleaning the terminals and then going for a drive eliminated the problems.

college mancollege man

Glad you figured it out.

Gerald HixGerald Hix
          Participant

I watched this video and Brian actually showed me what was happening and what to do to fix this problem. What I did earlier didn’t help, it came back. Now I have found the fix.

college mancollege man

Hopefully it fixes it. keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…