Menu

parts for old bikes?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Motorcycle Forum parts for old bikes?

• Creator
    Topic
    Eliud MunozEliud Munoz
    Participant

Ok so I am now starting to work on my motorcycle and would like to know were would be the best place to get parts for my 30 yr old bike. I would like to replace most of the brake system for it looks like it is in need for that. Along with that new seat, tires, some lights, etc. (82 yamaha xj650)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EndSupremacyEndSupremacy
      Participant

Ebay.

Eliud MunozEliud Munoz
        Participant

Got it will start to order parts that I need for my bike really soon. 😀

EndSupremacyEndSupremacy
          Participant

You can also try jc whitney. just google the name. They are more expensive though.

GlennGlenn
            Participant

http://www.bikebandit.com/

They have pretty much everything except major parts like blocks and crankshafts for my 83 XT 125

Eliud MunozEliud Munoz
              Participant

Great now that the bike starts and runs good I just a few things about appearance and there is one problem that I would like to ask a few people here about. I have had my motorcycle sit for a few months and after I came back and had the repairs done, I ran into another problem. My front brakes on my 82 Yamaha xj650 maxim are not working. I know the system is full but my pads don’t move at all when I press on the lever. It just sinks to the bottom. I think it might be the master cylinder, but have no idea on how to test this. Any ideas?

ThomasThomas
                Participant

I’d try bleeding the brakes and see. I’m not sure if this is true or not, but I’ve heard the fluid level will go up when you squeeze the breaks if the seal inside the master cylinder is bad.

PeterPeter
                  Participant

Hate to sound like an old maid here, but I would try and get OEM rubber seals if you can. They may cost a little bit more, and you may have to wait a couple of weeks because the dealer is almost certain not to carry stock for such an old bike, but at least you know the things will fit correctly and be of a decent quality.

If you come across Pyramid Parts on Ebay, keep looking. Their bearings are okay, their seals are rubbish. I brought a steering stem bearing and seals kit, plus front fork slide bushes, oil and dust seals for my ’98 ZX600. The steering stem grease seals didn’t fit properly. Neither did the dust seals. And they looked that cheap an nasty I’m just going to do the long wait and get the OEM ones.

Read several bad reviews on their front fork oil seals as well. After ordering and paying for mine of course :angry: I’m hoping mine will not prove to be in the same category.

Nick WarnerNick Warner
                    Participant

My 79 Yamaha wouldn’t be running today without Ebay. As mentioned by others, you need to watch who you buy from. A lot of parts you can find NOS Yamaha on there. But be prepared to have to sift through a lot of pages. Takes me awhile when I’m just poking around to see whats out there.

As to your brake issue, If this is still a problem after you verify there is no air in the system or leakage of fluid you need to rebuild the master. Pretty easy job and the NOS kits can be had for about $80 on Ebay.

Mike TMike T
                      Participant

Where to buy parts?
                        I like to go to cmsnl.com first. They have the best parts diagrams! Then I take the OEM# and search the webs for that number, you may find it on amazon, ebay or partsnmore.com. Amazon carries more stuff every day.
                        For o-rings and stuff like that get OEM. I find that the aftermarket stuff on ebay is frequently low quality, so I don’t usually buy there. And if they have OEM it’s no cheaper than other vendors.
                        If your brake pads aren’t moving and you have clean fluid in there, I would guess first that your brake piston is frozen. When they sit exposed without moving corosion builds up on the piston cylinder and the little cup that holds em. Common on old bikes.
                        Happy riding

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…