Menu

01 Max rusted core support

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop 01 Max rusted core support

• Creator
    Topic

I’m in the market and got a few estimates.
    one at $1097
    another at $800
    another at $600

Did Nissan use any paint on these at Oppama back in 2000?

What type of rust prevention do they use to prevent this what are the chances of it rusting again?

Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Thomas ByrdThomas Byrd
    Participant

I’m not totally sure what you are asking but I’m going to give it a shot.

I would go with the highest estimate here because it looks like a number that’s been calculated rather than a ballpark figure. And you can guess they are probably going to replace the most parts if their estimate is higher. This is my opinion, you may like the others for your own reasons.

I believe Nissan used an “underhood” color during that time. Which is not the same as the exterior.

A good shop will weld in the new parts and finish them off with primer and paint to prevent any future rust.

Hope this helps

the bottom support had no color.
      it’s rusted all the way through it has to be completely replaced.
      $1097 that’s Nissan’s quote but then again Nissan has an enormous facility and pays a lot more in property taxes, insurance, ect…

The shop that quoted $800 is in a popular location but not as large as Nissan.

The $600 was a small operation located behind another business in a storage unit so I assume they can price it more reasonably.

I guess I’m asking what ETCG affiliates would charge for this?

How many hours would it take and what’s a reasonable pay rate?

I figure $50/hr it should take aprox. 10 hours. so about $500 labor and $300 parts.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

One more thing to ask is if they are using OEM parts or not. That could be a lot of the price difference. There are a lot of Chinese made parts out there that may not have the best fit and finish. The estimates should have an itemized list of the work that will be done. I would be leery of one that does not have that.

Core supports in the early 2000s seem to be a weak point on Nissans. The one in my 2003 frontier is on it’s last legs.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out

BrianBrian
        Participant

The majority of auto body shops charge $85 or more per hour. The body shop I used to work in was smaller, but popular. The boss would sometimes offer a job price instead of charging by the hour. That kept us competitive. If you could post some detailed pics of the issues, I could give more advice. Many Nissan models seem to be switching over to a bolt in core support which eliminates welding. It’s also true that the aftermarket parts are often a bit smaller than the original ones. A core support on many vehicles is not too hard to replace. I can’t imagine it takes more than one day. The original color is a mystery to me also, but basic black will blend under the hood. In rust prone conditions, I would weld it in, then use a sealing primer, then an etching primer, then paint several layers of paint, then several layers of the clear coat. I’ve done this for classic cars I’ve restored and they are still rust free 20 years later. You can always use some truck bed liner, but that is likely a bit of overkill in my opinion.

I don’t want a Nissan OEM support in the car again.
          Even if another part seems cheap it can’t be any cheaper than the S**** support that was in it to begin with.

BrianBrian
          Participant

Can you please post some photos of this?

Your right the aftermarket were super thin and cheap! But I guess that’s good if you have to bend them in from worse damage. I bought it then detached the lower from the upper.
            The thing about it is it’s a cross member too so I went Nissan OEM lower section.
            The aftermarket didn’t fit as good either. It came up short on both ends. I suppose I couldve made it work I just went ahead and gave up on it then ordered a Nissan lower section.

Attachments:
          Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…