Menu

LED/HID questions

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop LED/HID questions

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Frank BassettFrank Bassett
    Participant

Since #etcgDadsTruck is a favorite build of mine (I have a 1992 Chevy K1500, so I learn a lot here) I’m curious if you’ve changed headlight bulbs. I have the standard halogens in mine (no fog lights sadly) bit they seem dim. I’ve cleaned the lenses & replaced the bulbs, but they just don’t seem as bright as they should be. Would you/did you swap bulbs for LED?

Just looking for suggestions here. LED suppliers seem to not carry things in spec for my pickup & I really don’t want to get something that lights up everything for me but blinds oncoming drivers for a half mile or so.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PaulPaul
      Participant

[quote=”Nogard1973″ post=203361]… I really don’t want to get something that lights up everything for me but blinds oncoming drivers for a half mile or so.[/quote]
        Thank you for considering everyone else on the road.

The short answer: The bulb type should be matched to the optical design of the housing because different bulbs have different emission patterns. Incandescent halogen and Xenon HID bulbs emit light equally in all directions (isotropic), which have a complex Fresnel lens and reflector. Also, the housing for Xenon are designed to filter out UV light. LEDs display a divergent cone, which do not colliminate well with a housing for halogen bulbs. So, if you want to take the LED route, it would be best IMHO to find specialized bulbs for OEM housings or a kit with s bulb and housing.

Sylvania has the SilverStar line of halogen bulbs that are brighter than standard halogens. The downside is cost and shorter lifespan (about 1-1.5 years if I remember correctly).

Frank BassettFrank Bassett
        Participant

Thanks, that gives me something to consider. I work until late & I live in deer country so buying bulbs more often might be a trade off if I can see them sooner.

Sad times indeed Chris. We were due to take a leisurely drive down to Italy to watch the MM again this year and it was great fun booking everything and working out the route last year. It was equally sad to be cancelling everything though.

Lets just hope that we dont forget these times and remember how lucky we are to be able to do the things we do.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The topic ‘LED/HID questions’ is closed to new replies.
        Loading…