Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2007 Subaru Outback Suspension Noise

2007 Subaru Outback Suspension Noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum 2007 Subaru Outback Suspension Noise

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I had fun tracking this one down. I used the techniques in the Suspension Noise video to help solve the mystery.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Marcus KwasniewskiMarcus Kwasniewski
      Participant

I had to create an account and chime in here. I actually checked alldata to see if there was a safer way to go about this. Here is the screenshot. Be safe, Stay dirty!

Attachments:
        Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
        Participant

Very interesting video!

I must say I never thought a rear suspension was so simple, compared to the front one.

Or maybe it is you that make it seem so simple Eric? ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, by looking at how “willing to rotate” was the central part of the damper , even if you were using an impact wrench, I could not help but wonder if its seals inside the damper could be damaged by the rotation.

It’s just a curiosity that came to my mind, but you of course with your experience could confirm on this, I’m very curious!

And this also is connected to another question that always bothered my mind about front suspensions.

When you turn the steering wheel the whole wheel-disc rotor-bearing-suspension arm does rotate together, but connected to this assembly is also the suspension strut and damper, which indeed is connected in a very “unturnable” way to the strut tower.
          So how can the damper rotate without damaging itself?

Or is there some bearing inside that takes the job and avoids damage to the damper itelf?

Please excuse my questions if they are silly, but I’m just curious.
          Also, in my foggy mind (I’m about to go to sleep) , I clearly (?) see one of your “Doctor Eric” videos where you actually explain the inner workings of things in a car ๐Ÿ˜‰

I really liked that kind of videos! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok now I go to bed.

Have a good evening/night you all! B)

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

Participant

@10nico, the piston inside the strut (the shiny rod) rotates inside the body of the strut.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

[quote=”10nico” post=50116]Very interesting video!

I must say I never thought a rear suspension was so simple, compared to the front one.

Or maybe it is you that make it seem so simple Eric? ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, by looking at how “willing to rotate” was the central part of the damper , even if you were using an impact wrench, I could not help but wonder if its seals inside the damper could be damaged by the rotation.

It’s just a curiosity that came to my mind, but you of course with your experience could confirm on this, I’m very curious!

And this also is connected to another question that always bothered my mind about front suspensions.

When you turn the steering wheel the whole wheel-disc rotor-bearing-suspension arm does rotate together, but connected to this assembly is also the suspension strut and damper, which indeed is connected in a very “unturnable” way to the strut tower.
              So how can the damper rotate without damaging itself?

Or is there some bearing inside that takes the job and avoids damage to the damper itelf?

Please excuse my questions if they are silly, but I’m just curious.
              Also, in my foggy mind (I’m about to go to sleep) , I clearly (?) see one of your “Doctor Eric” videos where you actually explain the inner workings of things in a car ๐Ÿ˜‰

I really liked that kind of videos! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok now I go to bed.

Have a good evening/night you all! B)

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico[/quote]

The spinning of the rod won’t damage the seal.

As for front struts you are correct. When the front suspension pivots via the strut there is a bearing assembly at the top that allows the assembly to rotate.

Participant

Sorry, I missed the “front” strut part of the post. Good catch on the strut bearing. Bad ones on the front sound like the mount that Eric replaced on the rear of this Subie. Sounds like midgets banging on your wheel wells.

Paul RPaul R
                Participant

In the end of the video you get to see how much those strut mounts do. I didn’t realize how much they have to flex when driving.

Could the suspension have been pulled down with a pry-bar to meet the strut eye or would it have been a two man job?

I appreciate you show potential mistakes. I have misaligned rear struts mounts before.

Good video on a common problem

WilliamWilliam
                  Participant

Near the end of the video I watched you torque the wheel on with the impact? Have you ever had any trouble doing this in the past? At our shop we use torque sticks that have a supposed vibration response to certain (pre set) torque value preventing the wheel from being drastically over torqued. On most occasions (well, if I’m going to be honest, some occasions) I break out the torque wrench to finish the wheel lug nut torque after just running them down with the impact.

Great vid, and am loving the transmission inspection as well.

-Should’ve been more specific – have you had any trouble over torquing, or having wheels falling off.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…