Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Longevity ForceCut 40D, Migweld 140 M1 Tool Review

Longevity ForceCut 40D, Migweld 140 M1 Tool Review

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Longevity ForceCut 40D, Migweld 140 M1 Tool Review

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I had a LOT of fun making this video, AND my work bench is so much nicer to work on. What did you think?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Looked like a pretty sweet set up! Nice vid!

Keymaster

[quote=”OutofGas” post=97617]Looked like a pretty sweet set up! Nice vid![/quote]

It is. I’m already thinking of new projects to use it with.

Steve WebbSteve Webb
          Participant

Great vid Eric. I got a buddy teaching me how to weld in a few weeks and going to sort my body repairs, rusty arches, chassis rail etc so really excited to see you doing vids with this so I can learn.

Out of interest, do you remember the A/C leak video where you found a big gouge in the low pressure line on the Scooby… if you’d had this gear could you have fixed that without having to buy a new line?

Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
            Participant

🙂 Welcome to the world of welding, Eric. You will find yourself spending time at the Welding supply store buying replacement items like mig nozzles and mig tips and there is a guide tool for your plasma nozzle. As with mechanic’s tools, there are better items that can help with your welding. It is a vicious circle of want and desires. You may want to buy some heavier welding gloves for mig welding, as the gloves that came with your toys won’t take much heat. You will appreciate it if you do more vertical welding.
              You will be making new carts for each of your new toys. It is a need to improve what you have, and make it work better. A more sturdy cart for both new tools will be more useful in the future as you use your welder and plasma cutter more. I retired from the world of industrial welding and after watching your video, it made me miss working. Plasma cutting is addictive. Good Luck with your new tools.

Keymaster

[quote=”Webby the Bear” post=97692]Great vid Eric. I got a buddy teaching me how to weld in a few weeks and going to sort my body repairs, rusty arches, chassis rail etc so really excited to see you doing vids with this so I can learn.

Out of interest, do you remember the A/C leak video where you found a big gouge in the low pressure line on the Scooby… if you’d had this gear could you have fixed that without having to buy a new line?[/quote]

As a matter of fact, yes.

Keymaster

[quote=”slotcar” post=97714]:) Welcome to the world of welding, Eric. You will find yourself spending time at the Welding supply store buying replacement items like mig nozzles and mig tips and there is a guide tool for your plasma nozzle. As with mechanic’s tools, there are better items that can help with your welding. It is a vicious circle of want and desires. You may want to buy some heavier welding gloves for mig welding, as the gloves that came with your toys won’t take much heat. You will appreciate it if you do more vertical welding.
                  You will be making new carts for each of your new toys. It is a need to improve what you have, and make it work better. A more sturdy cart for both new tools will be more useful in the future as you use your welder and plasma cutter more. I retired from the world of industrial welding and after watching your video, it made me miss working. Plasma cutting is addictive. Good Luck with your new tools.[/quote]

Thanks very much for your insight and tips.

Steve W.Steve W.
                  Participant

Flux core wire is very good to have on hand. MIG/TIG both use shielding gas to protect the weld. Doesn’t work so well outdoors in a breeze or indoors if you have a fan going. Also if you do switch to flux core you need to switch the polarity of the leads. Flux core can allow you to weld thicker metals because it generally runs hotter at a given amp/voltage setting.

For a low cost anti spatter spray Pam cooking spray works (it will make you hungry though as it smells like french fries as it heats up)

For the folks who scream – it’s Chinese so it’s junk. Don’t look close at many of the US “made” units. Quite a few are assembled here but use parts sourced from China.

Keymaster

[quote=”DoorBreaker” post=97842]Flux core wire is very good to have on hand. MIG/TIG both use shielding gas to protect the weld. Doesn’t work so well outdoors in a breeze or indoors if you have a fan going. Also if you do switch to flux core you need to switch the polarity of the leads. Flux core can allow you to weld thicker metals because it generally runs hotter at a given amp/voltage setting.

For a low cost anti spatter spray Pam cooking spray works (it will make you hungry though as it smells like french fries as it heats up)

For the folks who scream – it’s Chinese so it’s junk. Don’t look close at many of the US “made” units. Quite a few are assembled here but use parts sourced from China.[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I’ll have to try the Pam spray next time I weld.

yaakovyaakov
                      Participant

I was watching your welding videos and was wondering if you can get an electric shock

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
                        Participant

I have never received a shock from a welder. but being an electrical device. the chances are there if your not careful

spelunkerdspelunkerd
                          Participant

Regarding the electric shock question, I put in my 10,000 hours as a welder in a previous life. The goofballs that I worked with in those years sometimes thought it was ‘funny’ to poke the new guy in the ass with a stick welder while he was standing on the workpiece. So, I had a few ignorant shots in the first year. I never saw anybody die, but it feels like a really powerful cattle probe. It never left a mark. We all wore heavy work boots so the resistance was high enough that current was low.

The bigger risk was catching a pantleg on fire from stick welding spatter. You gotta be really careful with that. Over those years I knew one guy who died from an acetylene tank explosion, I saw hundreds of welder flashes from UV light, and all kinds of soft tissue injuries. I only rarely had an accidental shock with MIG welders, and I’ve never shocked myself with TIG.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…