Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What To Do When Your Timing Belt Breaks

What To Do When Your Timing Belt Breaks

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum What To Do When Your Timing Belt Breaks

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’m already seeing pushback in the comments on this. Think about this logically, if the belt breaks and you want to keep the vehicle, you’re going to have to replace the belt anyway. Even if you end up replacing the engine you can still transfer the new parts to the new engine. If you find that you have bent valves, you just remove the cylinder head and leave the bottom end of the timing belt attached.

As for doing a compression test or other test, why bother? If you replace the belt and it works, you win. If it doesn’t, you have a little less work and a new timing belt to work with. I think you’re wasting your time with any testing if you know that you have a broken belt.

I’ve been using this method for years and I truly believe it is the most efficient way to deal with this problem.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]enPNb8dxCZk[/video]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

Before watching this, I probably would have looked at the pistons and valves with a boroscope, but I think your logic is solid. I think a lot of the youtube commenters are missing the “if the belt breaks and you want to keep the vehicle” part of this video. I would probably take some other steps if it was a “fix or junk” decision.

Based on the ETCG1 video on this, I’m really happy for the owner that no other damage was done.

apostolisapostolis
        Participant

Hey Eric, how about a generic video for timing belt, tensioner, ect. replacement, where you point out the common errors in these types of repair? I know you have detailed videos of timing belt replacement for specific types of engines (and i am pretty sure they are great) but i think a video with a gereral discussion about what to pay attention to would be really helpful to us DIY’s.

Keymaster

[quote=”apostolis” post=159674]Hey Eric, how about a generic video for timing belt, tensioner, ect. replacement, where you point out the common errors in these types of repair? I know you have detailed videos of timing belt replacement for specific types of engines (and i am pretty sure they are great) but i think a video with a gereral discussion about what to pay attention to would be really helpful to us DIY’s.[/quote]

I don’t really see a way I could do that since so many timing belt procedures are specific to vehicle. It’s not wise to make generalizations in videos as evidence by the comments to this video.

Fernando cunhaFernando cunha
            Participant

great video and advice.
              its a thank you from me

MikeMike
              Participant

Excellent no-nonsense advice.

My biggest take-away from your advice, though, is to “read the signs”. Things like broken/missing fasteners, misaligned parts, and everything else. Be alert and be inquisitive. Those clues can really fill in the blank spots and tell you a lot about what you’re dealing with and why.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
                Participant

This was a great video because I always thought that once an engine popped a belt or chain it was junk if it was an interference engine. Now I know that’s not always the case. I agree and think this is a solid video. Great work, Eric!

ErinErin
                  Participant

Of course it wasn’t the point of the viedo but one thing that could have been mentioned was –
                    the water pump should be replaced only if it is driven by the timing belt. Some novices might wonder, “what does the water pump have to do with the timing belt?” and get the idea that in all cases it calls for a new water pump.

On another note – if the timing belt (or chain) IS broken, how would it even be possible to do other tests anyways?

I guess replacing the belt first goes back to that rule about “fix the known problems, THEN investigate further if necessary

Keymaster

[quote=”Summer_Night” post=159876]Of course it wasn’t the point of the viedo but one thing that could have been mentioned was –
                      the water pump should be replaced only if it is driven by the timing belt. Some novices might wonder, “what does the water pump have to do with the timing belt?” and get the idea that in all cases it calls for a new water pump.

On another note – if the timing belt (or chain) IS broken, how would it even be possible to do other tests anyways?

I guess replacing the belt first goes back to that rule about “fix the known problems, THEN investigate further if necessary[/quote]

Good point, but I hope that would be common sense. Although there were a few comments to that effect.

You can do a leak down. You just put the pistons in the ‘middle’ position and you can either rotate the cam, or remove it to get the valves to close. SMA made comment to that effect. It seems the biggest concern is ‘wasting’ the customers money on the timing belt and the labor to install it. I’ve countered with ‘you’re going to have to replace it no matter what’. Some agree, some don’t. I’m OK with that, but some of the commenters aren’t.

Thanks for your comment.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…