Menu

1996 civic starting issues.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1996 civic starting issues.

• Creator
    Topic
    NAME ?#NAME?
    Participant

Ok. so the problem started last december. Turn key to “start”, starter would engage for a second, then stop, or not engage at all and just click. Car had 280 000km’s on it so i suspected the starter may be getting tired. Took the starter out and tested it. Starter motor ran perfect, but the solonoid was warn out. Went searching for a solonoid but the rebuild shops were closed at 7:00 at night. Was able to get a rebuilt starter for a steal (110$) instead of 240$ from autozone. Installed the starter and car ran great from mid december (2010) to around mid september. The odd time i’d go to start the car, it would do the same thing as before. Turn key “Click”, “Click”

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
      Participant

Sounds like a failing starter relay to me.
        Could be the ignition switch too but, i would start with the relay.

TopherTopher
        Participant

try the starter cut relay

NAME ?#NAME?
          Participant

I’ll look into it tonight when it stops raining tonight. We’ve had 3 days straight of rain. Pretty hard to do any work without getting soaked!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I believe your having issue with the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I’ve seen this many times and it is a known problem on Hondas. Drop the lower steering cover and look for any solder that has collected inside the cover, if you find any then the switch is bad and should be replaced. You don’t need to replace the entire switch just the electrical portion that fastens to the rear of the mechanical switch.

NAME ?#NAME?
              Participant

Good. news. Fixed the problem. It ended up being the starter cut of relay way up in the dash. Bypassed that relay and the no start issue went away. Popped a used one in from the wrecker and she runs like new!. Since I had most of the dash appart I decided to look into why the guage lights are so dim and the lack of light on the guage needles. Has anyone else had this issue? While i was at the wrecker i picked up a working dimmer switch (2$ how can you go wrong) and put it in my car. Same thing. Im wondering if the bulbs have enver been changed behind the dash and the wrong ones were put in? Is there supposed to be a light for the guage needles or are they supposed to be nearly invisible at night?

All the bulbs appear to be intact, but they seem to be quite dim. Can a fix be as simple as soldering in a smaller resistor in the dimmer switch for more power to the lights?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Thanks for the update, I haven’t seen that issue before.

I have seen problems with dash lights but not ‘dim’ like you say but rather out altogether, that issue is sometimes caused by a bad circuit board in the cluster. You might also check the pin connections where the cluster connects to the harness because sometimes it’s just a pin connection issue.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…