Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Trapped Air in Heater Core? Bleed process?

Trapped Air in Heater Core? Bleed process?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Trapped Air in Heater Core? Bleed process?

• Creator
    Topic
    DavidDavid
    Participant

Greetings! As a long time viewer, I’ve been finally compelled to join the message board because my car sounds like a coffee maker brewing every time I accelerate.

I’ll cut to the chase:

The car:

2005 Honda Civic EX 1.7 with ~ 111,000 Miles

The Problem:

Ever since a friend and I changed the timing belt and water pump on the car, I think there has been air trapped in the heater core. There is a gurgling sound coming from behind the center console every time I accelerate from a stop. This only occurs with the heat on. (With the fan on and off)

When refilling the coolant we followed the standard practice of filling the car, running it with the cap off, and refilling it once the thermostat opened. I am not sure where we went wrong.

My question is: How do I get the air out of there without tearing the whole car apart? Is there a bleeder valve located somewhere? (If there is, would it be close to and high enough from the heater core to help?)

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

here is the procedure.don’t worry about the bleeder valve.
        put a pan under the radiator if you don’t have the funnel.

DavidDavid
        Participant

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

This is the exact procedure we followed when refilling the car. Minus the bleeder valve – which I am assuming my car does not have.

Are you suggesting I run it again with the cap off and see if the level goes down any further?

I’m wondering if the heater core is lower than the radiator cap – enabling the air to travel upwards from the core to the exit.

college mancollege man

Yes.the procedure must be done with the cap off.
            follow the procedure exactly as per the video.
            try it again and see if the problem gets better.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

You need to follow the procedure in the video to a T or you won’t be successful. You are correct in that you don’t need the bleeder valve but you need to make sure you run the engine till the cooling fans come on with the heater to the full hot position with the blower motor OFF. You need to follow this procedure anytime you open the cooling system. I sometimes find that aftermarket radiators often make bleeding the system more difficult FYI.

DavidDavid
              Participant

I did it again and waited for the cooling fans to come on twice. The noise is significantly diminished, but not gone.

Thanks for the responses.

college mancollege man

You may need to repeat the procedure or it may work its way out.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

If you have an aftermarket radiator this can make the bleeding process more difficult. As for the noise you may have other issues not related to air in the cooling system.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…