Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Chevy Malibu 3.1L giving P0300 code

2003 Chevy Malibu 3.1L giving P0300 code

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Chevy Malibu 3.1L giving P0300 code

• Creator
    Topic
    EthanEthan
    Participant

Hello,

Myself and a friend recently replaced the following on my 03 Malibu.

Lower intake manifold
      New Felpro gaskets
      Coolant temp sensor
      Thermostat
      Spark plugs
      Spark plug wires

The car now has a random misfire happening. When the car idles I can tell something is missing. SPeeding up slowly i can feel it hesitate at times, but giving it full gas there is no issue.

Any ideas what else it could be?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

First check for vacuum leaks. 2nd do a power balance test.
        what brand of plugs and wires were used? I would use the correct
        ac delco plugs and wires if not used. more in this link.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

EthanEthan
        Participant

Yep, I used the AC Delco plugs and wires.

college mancollege man

[quote=”blobula” post=113038]Yep, I used the AC Delco plugs and wires.[/quote]

Then the above is a good starting point. 🙂

EthanEthan
            Participant

What would a clicking from the EGR valve mean? Anything?

GlennGlenn
              Participant

I would take College Man’s advice to heart and pursue the possibility of a vacuum leak. It’s very easy to over-torque the aluminum plenums on the 3.1 and crack it at the corners. I’ve done it. In fact, I’ll send you a picture late tonight when I get back to my tablet. You need to get a spray bottle with water and spray around all the vacuum related lines from the pcv line to the purge solenoid line around the throttle body. Also, spray the tops of the injectors. You will likely need a piece of heater hose to enable spraying injectors 1 and 5 in the back, as they are hard to reach. It could be that one or more of the injector rings did not seal properly. Try to determine if there is a change/ drop in rpm’s when you spray these areas. Given the work you performed, the symptoms described etc., it sounds vacuum related to me as well. Best of luck

EthanEthan
                Participant

Looked into it some more tonight and checked for vacuum leaks around hoses, plenum, injectors, etc.. and didn’t turn up anything.

I think the next steps are to run some fuel injector cleaner through, and then have someone run a car diagnostic on it to pinpoint the cause of the random misfire?

GlennGlenn
                  Participant

The pictures were not as vivid as I remember. Here is one showing the rear passenger side of the plenum (alternator area.) I could not even see the cracks until I hit these areas with brake cleaner following a smoke test. I was using a cheapo torque wrench that went bad on me. If you have cracked the plenum, a salvage yard is the best option for replacement. Keep us posted

Attachments:
                    EthanEthan
                    Participant

Is there a diagnostic scan tool that would give good data regarding injectors, etc… that could be purchased for about the same price as paying to have a scan done?

GlennGlenn
                      Participant

Please don’t let me try your patience. Before I went that route, I’d perform a home smoke test. This really works if you can’t afford a professional one and can stand the cigar, 🙂 it still sounds like a vacuum issue given the fact it disappears at higher rpm’s to me.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                        Participant

P0300 is one of the codes they could have just as well left out in my opinion. It doesn’t tell you much except that the engine isn’t running smoothly.

GlennGlenn
                          Participant

I heartily agree with the Master Mechanic Barneyb. I’ve thought the same thing about p0300. That code is about as useless as the cottage cheese in the green jello mom made 🙂

EthanEthan
                            Participant

Yeah the code certainly doesn’t help matters. Not sure if this could mean anything but when I start the car with the air conditioning on and drive for awhile and idle it doesn’t idle very rough. When I turn it off that’s when it become very noticeable.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                              Participant

We’re just commenting about life as in watching the dash vibrate while the computer sets a p0300 code.

EthanEthan
                                Participant

No vacuum leaks found. I had a friend run an in-depth scan to get more info about the 0300 code and found that cylinders 3 and 5 had thousands of misfires whereas the others hadn’t any. Could my coil packs be bad? Unfortunately 3 & 5 aren’t on one coil pack.

GlennGlenn
                                  Participant

Well, those cylinders are controlled by 2 separate coils. It’s unusual to have 2 fail simultaneously. I’d look further at the crank position sensor(s) and camshaft sensor. It you have spark, the ignition module is doing it’s job. Check your wiring thoroughly. Perhaps when you performed the other work a wire was compromised or connection not good and tight. Another thought, …if the wire going to the 7x crank sensor is too close to a spark plug wire or touching the exhaust, etc., it could be misfiring from interference. This wire on older 3.1’s was a twisted purple and yellow wire that connects to the 7x sensor on the engine block and the ignition module. Test the 24x crank sensor behind the balancer too.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/3.1L-3.4L/how-to-test-the-24x-crank-sensor-1

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…