Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • RL Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Videos

RL Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Videos

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum RL Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Videos

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

There were a lot more questions on this one than I thought their would be. I also thought the replacement of the bearing would be a lot easier but that’s how it goes in the repair world. I’m posting both the RL Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement video as well as it’s Re: video here, I think it will make things easier. I look forward to your comments.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      thomas dudmanthomas dudman
      Participant

Great video,they are a pain from time to time.I have used a dremel to do the cutting,takes longer but more precise.
        My question is would you lean more towards OEM replacement?
        and
        From your experience what would cause damage to a wheel bearing?hitting curbs,turning hard,pot holes,driver abuse,unbalanced tire.
        I have seen wheel bearings go on newer vehicles under 40k miles.Be it poor quality,toss of the dice,but hard to explain to someone why they go bad at lower mileage.
        To add to the parking brake inner workings,they usually never go bad or need replacing unless parking brake is left on.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

For this I did not use an OE replacement part and I think that’s just fine on a car with 245K on it. Even if that wasn’t the case I don’t think that an OE part would be any better and cost more in this case.

As for what makes wheel bearings go bad there are a number of things, lack of lubrication being at the top of the list. However in the case of these RL’s they have a tendency to go through rear ABS sensors, often the bearing is removed to gain better access to the sensor, I suspect that the sensor was replaced and perhaps either the bearing wasn’t torqued down properly or there was some other issue with it’s handling that may have shortened it’s life. So I guess the reason aside from lack of lubrication would be poor service practices. General used will not often cause a part to wear out unless it’s made from cheep materials.

I agree, those parking brakes hardly ever have a problem unless someone leaves one on.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…