Menu

Tool Comparison

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Tool Comparison

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This video has a longer title: Craftsman vs Craftsman Professional vs Harbor Freight vs Matco vs Mac vs Snap-on

It’s too long for the forum so I’m including it here.

So these are my opinions on these tools that I’ve used for years. Please keep in mind that these are my opinions. Also, be sure to consider use. The DIYer won’t use their tools in the same way a professional would and therefore the ROI is different for both parties.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
      Participant

You know, I have an SK Tuff1 from about 25 years ago, when Facom owned SK produced tools under the SK name, and its the nicest ratchet I have owned that wasn’t a Snap-on. I have some SK Wrenches that are polished and about 15 years old and they are quite nice. I don’t know if those are Facoms though. Possibly something else. Ten steps above Sears and Roebuck Pro stuff whatever the case. Here is the problem, those SK tools are every bit as effective as Snap-on, and I don’t hesistate to use them, however that particular ratchet did actually bring a sh*tstorm of laughter upon at one point when surrounded by techs with Epiq boxes full of snap-on stuff., so it wasn’t really usable in a shop setting back then., in yet I am still using it myself now for what I do.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
        Participant

What I notice about the Facom wrenches is how they bite but then when the fastener is out it isn\’t marked up, a nice feature these days when everything is steel fasteners deep into aluminum. Like I say, these are two decades old so whether Facom remains at that standard I cannot say. Looking at their tool catalog I see that everything that has a handle is now encased in thick plastic or rubber, something I am not a fan off. Fat handles take up too much room in a box and are dirt magnets.

Gary BrownGary
          Participant

I was in a rush when I made my last post so I didn\\\’t get all my thoughts out the way I wanted to. Look, where I come from you are not judged by the tools you use to get the job done, it\\\’s how you get the job done. I was NEVER criticized for using Made in the USA Craftsman tools primarily in any shop environment. Look, I can speak from all sides because I am not a tool elitist as I have a mix in my toolbox of Craftsman(and Craftsman Professional), Gearwrench, Snap-on, MAC, De-Walt(which is better than Snap-on alot of times for power tools), and even a few \\\”harbor freight specials\\\”. All my tools get the job done regardless of make and they make me money. I don\\\’t care if someone was to criticize me that I don\\\’t have all \\\”top tier tools\\\” because at the end of the day, it\\\’s how good my work is. You can give someone the best tools in the world made out of titanium but if they are a bad mechanic well.. you get the point.

Gary BrownGary
            Participant

[quote=”Bracsim” post=124313]I broke snap on tools before, they are all the same crap, just use them the way they are suppost to be use and they will last a long time.[/quote] They are overpriced, but they are certainly not the same.

Participant

The way I see it is like this. Some things like exotic wines and overpriced shoes are for the well-healed. All the rest of us drink 3 Buck Chuck and wear stuff from Wal Mart, oh well, However if you owned a vineyard or were a professional runner you wouldn’t buy these things. I have never, in all of my life ever met a pro tech who didn’t own and use at least some truck tools. If go to the dentist, you expect to see stainless steel dental tools, pretty much regardless. If you were to ever encounter a dentist using a bunch of rusty forks and spoons and dollar store picnic silverware, you would’t go back. There is a standard in the industry or tool trucks wouldn’t exist. Decades ago, when quality of everything was better, something from Sears might just do, but anymore, with so much offshore stuff, its pretty much a given that tools are going to cost ya. If your stuff is old and good, and you lost it, you couldn’t go to sears and replace it with equal stuff. You would be forced to go truckin

Gary BrownGary
                Participant

[quote=”andrewbutton442″ post=124341]The way I see it is like this. Some things like exotic wines and overpriced shoes are for the well-healed. All the rest of us drink 3 Buck Chuck and wear stuff from Wal Mart, oh well, However if you owned a vineyard or were a professional runner you wouldn\’t buy these things. I have never, in all of my life ever met a pro tech who didn\’t own and use at least some truck tools. If go to the dentist, you expect to see stainless steel dental tools, pretty much regardless. If you were to ever encounter a dentist using a bunch of rusty forks and spoons and dollar store picnic silverware, you would\’t go back. There is a standard in the industry or tool trucks wouldn\’t exist. Decades ago, when quality of everything was better, something from Sears might just do, but anymore, with so much offshore stuff, its pretty much a given that tools are going to cost ya. If your stuff is old and good, and you lost it, you couldn\’t go to sears and replace it with equal stuff. You would be forced to go truckin[/quote] Agreed. And I will admit, I won’t use a torque wrench made by anyone else other than a top tier brand. I just happen to have one from Snap-On. Precision tools, you need the best.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

I think anyone that has been to the technicians thread knows how I feel about tools but, I don’t care who makes it all I care about is will it get the job done, will it hurt me, will it make my life easier, and will it last long enough to be worth it.

Anything that is not a tool truck brand can be hit or miss. My 1970s Craftsman tools make newer Snap-On 2013-Present look like crap and the 1970s Craftsman normally out performs the Newer Snap-On in every case when it comes to this. The newer Craftsman stuff majority of it is absolute crap. It is like panning for gold if you go to Sears, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Napa, etc. If you know what you are looking for you can hit gold mines. With tool trucks you know its gold because it costs that much.

In all honesty I have 1970s Craftsman raised panel SAE 26 piece set. 2010 Craftsman USA made Metric raised panel wrenches which I never use the open end on. Gearwrench metric flex ratcheting wrenches which I do use the open end on. So if I need an open end I use the Gearwrench and box end I use the Craftsman. I only ever rounded 2 things with the Craftsman box end and they were both brass. I would not trust the open end of the 2010s but, the 1970s Craftsman have been used by other techs when their new shiny 700 dollar set of Snap-On wrenches spread.

It is all relative if you know what you are looking at and looking for stuff from Harbor Freight can be perfectly fine. When was the last time you needed to have a Snap-On magnetic tray $15 bucks vs $3-4 dollars. I will buy 3-4 for the price of your one.

Participant

So you feel that OLDER Snap-on is better quality ? How about that VS Older Craftsman ? Old Craftmans beat new Snap-on, but does older Snap-on beat out anything else ?

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                      Participant

With everything a click away on the internet I think those tools trucks are soon to become a fond memory.

IngvarIngvar
                        Participant

Thank you, Eric.

Doesn’t this belong more in the Tool Talk section though?

Quick note. I broke Craftsman wrenches, never broke Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh crappy finish actually makes them stay in greasy hand better. But you want to use them ONLY on loose or low torque fasteners. They are clearly cheaply stamped and tolerances are so high, they are best ever wrenches – to strip something.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                          Participant

Actually from what I heard old Snap-On at least from the 1970s was crap. I dunno though because the only thing I have that is old Snap-On is my great grandfather’s 1/2″ Breaker bar and I do not intend on breaking that to try and prove a point. My point is simply what works will work and continue to work until it doesn’t. If it works for longer then 6 months in a professional shop and it is not costing me time I see no reason to change it especially if it has a lifetime warranty. If it starts to cost me time ie, strips rounds etc then its worth my money to invest in something much better.

I do tons of research when I buy my tools I got tools that some people have never even heard of one would be wilde. I would rather spend 2hrs of my time doing research and save $100-200 dollars then to just buy something off the tool truck just because someone says its better.

IngvarIngvar
                            Participant

And I know, why I said “belongs to Tool Talk” section. There’s post in “reapirs” section, titled “Tools twilight zone”. Hit it, and it brings you here, to ETCG Video discussion forum.
                              Twilight zone it is.

Gary BrownGary
                              Participant

Thanks for getting Golden Earrings twilight zone stuck in my head lol. In any case, this is turning to an all out discussion not so much about the video, but really our our personal preferences and opinions. Idk, I’ve said my piece. If someone starts a thread in tool talk I guarantee this discussion will never end.

BrandonBrandon
                                Participant

I have been around tools all my life in some fashion , helping dad as a little kid at home, watching my heavy equipment mechanic uncles, to eventually turning to those tools to make a living. There has always been one brand they all had in common and what was more mentally stuck in my head and that has been Snap-On.

I usually kinda go the snap on way for a majority of my tools. I have never had a what I will call Quality issue at all with anything Snap-On. It may also be that I have always been at places with really really kick ass Snap-On tool trucks. That is my prefrence, I will shop around for the specialty kits as most of the time the same company will provide them to all of the big 3, so I may shop around and see who can do the best deal for me on those.

My tools at home and in the race car tool box are a mixture of stuff I have got as gifts, Ebay, tool truck trade ins so I get to use a very very WIDE range of brands in my home time and race track time. There is varying levels of quality but for the most part you can work with most tools and do ok for small stuff here and there. If you are depending on those tools to put money in the bank each week I would suggest Invest in the best you can buy and they will get you a return on your investment.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                                  Participant

A name is exactly that a name. I look at the quality of the tool I could care less about the name. It is stupid to play favorites. I have Craftsman tools that were used in a steel mill for 35yrs that still work and work well. It all depends on the quality. A name does not dictate quality. I have returned for my money back Snap-On and Mac Tools. People are going to say what they will say and do what they will do but, I look at stuff subjectively not objectively and in every instance I have seen the huge Pros and Cons to tool truck tools.

Buyng stuff only USA made I respect too but, it is a fight that has already been lost. I wish it wasn’t that way but, it is.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…