Menu

what kind of soldering iron to buy

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk what kind of soldering iron to buy

• Creator
    Topic
    DylanDylan
    Participant

i was wondering what would be a good soldering iron to buy, im just learning how to solder im 18 years old ive been teaching myself how to do automotive repairs for about a year and everytime something comes up where i have to solder i dont attempt it because im not sure what i should buy plus i wasnt sure if it was hard. i would like to finally learn how to do it so please any suggestions or tips are a huge help

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
      Participant

There are different kinds of soldering and different kinds of solder as well as different kinds of soldering tools. For automotive soldering of wires I would recommend a soldering gun. I own a Weller (don’t know the model number off the top of my head) with 2 heat settings which serves me well. I also have a Weller soldering pencil with adjustable heat settings for more delicate electronics work. I would suggest you go to Utube and search soldering, I’m sure there will be some good videos available there. Hope this helps.

cunno96cunno96
        Participant

gas irons are handy because you have no cord and you can use it for many other things i will warn you you may have to open it up to adjust it some more because i got mine of ebay and it was not hot enuff dont worry when you adjust it you dont need to undo and gas fittings i have not used a solidering gun but i know the pencile style works well and is easy to use .for solidering wires you want a flat tip not pointy tip for more help look up eevblog on you tube banana:

DylanDylan
          Participant

sounds good thanks guys

davedave
            Participant

we are taught in school to never use an electric soldering gun under a dash as it could induce unexpected current in circuits… (conversely, this property can be used as an electrical troubleshooting method in some situations) I would go with the gas soldering gun.

DylanDylan
              Participant

All the guns I have looked at have different watts.What should I look to get. 99% of work done with it will be for automotive work so what would be an appropriate gun for that

cunno96cunno96
                Participant

pick one that is adjustable temp because ive used one that had a low wottage and one with a high wattage and they are both equaly shit

Ronald JeanRonald Jean
                  Participant

Dual heat setting gun,100 or 140 watts,heats up much faster than my irons, it works great.

twiggytwiggy
                    Participant

[quote=”Wrench Turner” post=34002]we are taught in school to never use an electric soldering gun under a dash as it could induce unexpected current in circuits… (conversely, this property can be used as an electrical troubleshooting method in some situations) I would go with the gas soldering gun.[/quote]

That’s because the tip is typically grounded through the wall plug. You can get an adapter that loses the ground prong and you will have no issues.

I’ve also seen some good rechargable battery powered ones. But I really hate the gas ones as I can never get the temp quite right.

cunno96cunno96
                      Participant

hey twiggy what brand were the gas ones you used

twiggytwiggy
                        Participant

I’m sorry that was about 20 years ago so I don’t remember. I’ve been working in engineering since then. We are required to use esd safe soldering irons where the tips are grounded through a high resistance.

CharlesCharles
                          Participant

Buy the one from Radio Shack for 10 bucks. Will work on up to about #14 wire. For the bigger stuff you will need to get a propane torch with a solder tip. Works on battery cables and generator/starter brushes like on my 8N. Buy and learn to use heat shrink tubing to cover splices and dress up ends.

twiggytwiggy
                            Participant
                              ZodZod
                              Participant

lol 😉 I was just going to suggest that.
                                RS 25W pencil iron, good for nearly everything electronic. Used it to put blocking diodes in the trailer wiring so the “brake lights” didn’t backfeed the “running lights” with the LED bulbs all around, as well as numerous circuit board projects.

If you need grounding, loosen a screw, and put one end of a 100,000 ohm resistor around it, with a wire to a clip on the other end. Heat shrink the resistor between the screw and the wire. Clip it to something grounded, and you are good.

Been playing with electronics for more than 40 years, standing between cars and the wreckers for more than 30, and an amateur radio operator for 13..

AlexAlex
                                Participant

I have been working on slot machines for about 3 years now, I always used my Weller portasol. Cordless, butane, and great for doing stereo.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2C-Butane-Soldering-Iron/dp/B000B61L0G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351145306&sr=1-4&keywords=weller+soldering+iron

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
                                  Participant

[quote=”Zod” post=35042]
                                    Been playing with electronics for more than 40 years, standing between cars and the wreckers for more than 30, and an amateur radio operator for 13..[/quote]

What’s your callsign? Got kc8frw 12/31/96

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…